Do filters help prevent goop from traveling up the stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I'm loving my pipe, and all the tobaccos I've been smoking, but I've about had it with the goop traveling up the stem. It's like a fly that won't let me sleep now matter how many times I swat it away. Will a filter help cut back on this goop? I don't really want to use a filter, but I will if I have to!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Yes.
It's not really goop, it's condensation from the burning and the moisture in your tobacco ... I hate the taste of it myself, but I still have no desire to use filters.
You can benefit from drying your tobacco out for a period of time before you smoke it (by leaving it out in the open air).
It also helps to draw more slowly, although that's another technique I'm not very good at remembering to do.
Or, if you have the extra money ... Peterson sells "drinkless" pipes that are made in such a way to trap a decent amount of the moisture inside the mortise before it ever gets to where you can taste it. They're called Peterson system pipes.
Filters are the cheap alternative, but, I still don't use them even if it means the dreaded "kickback" occasionally, as Lawrence quipped it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This build up of condensation is also a sign of smoking too fast. Slow down and you should be fine. Once I learned to pace myself I never had the need to dry out tobacco.
And quick run through with a pipe cleaner while you're smoking never hurt anyone.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
And quick run through with a pipe cleaner while you're smoking never hurt anyone.
Like bigvan and zanthal said, smoke slowly and make sure that your tobacco isn't too moist; those are the two most important factors. If you still get gurgle or junk working its way into your mouth, then the pipe cleaner thing is the best answer IMO. Although filters may reduce the stuff in the stem, they won't stop any gurgling that may occur and they block the airway so that you can't get a cleaner all the way to the bottom of the bowl where gurgle is. I have one pipe that smokes nicely but gurgles no matter what, and it makes me crazy even though nothing comes up the stem. A pipe cleaner does the trick.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Are you smoking a pipe that takes 9mm filters or 6mm? If its 9mm there is an adapter that you should be using in place of the filter that reduces the diameter in the stem. I ask this because if your smoking a 9mm without filter or adapter it will allow small pieces of tobacco and moisture to easily find its way to your mouth piece.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yes, mostly what these guys said.

Filters may prevent you from eating goop, but the underlying reason that you're getting goop in the first place is what should be dealt with.

Read up on the basics, packing, lighting and drawing, and practice, practice, practice, as it does not come naturally for a while.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Zanthal,bigvan, and jpberg have it covered. Work on you smoking technique first. I'm like bigvan - I never dry tobacco, unless an entire batch is just too moist for easy lighting. And I keep pipe cleaners near at hand to run through to help dry things out now and then.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
the goop traveling up the stem
Zanthal, Bigvan, Jud, etc.. have given you some good advice already.
Personal experiences

1) I dry my tobacco. Almost always except with the C&D blends. They seem to have just the right moisture right out of the tin. SG on the other hand is probably the most moist (is that a word) right out of the tin and can use several hours of drying.

2) Smoke slow, sip, don't suck ;-)

3) Even with all that, I still get a gurgle on occasion with certain pipes. It's just part of the joy of pipe smoking. The famous wrist flick or a quick pipe cleaner usually take care of that. But even with a gurgle, I seldom suck that hard on the pipe that I get much "goop" in my mouth. The occasional dribble of moisture or a fleck of tobacco is inevitable, but not goop :? If you're really getting goop, gunk, whatever.. I'm suspecting you're really drawing too hard.
Good luck and don't give up. It gets better with practice and time.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I believe I am a distinct minority here in that I do use filters (in my cobs that have a place for it, not in anything that doesn't though). I've gotten ash and dottle before but never goop. I used to have to clean goop out from below the filter but when I had to do that, it was before I was very good about cleaning my pipe. I ditched the goopy tobacco that I was smoking and stopped using that particular pipe. I'm not suggesting that you switch all of your pipes and tobaccos out but that's what I did (one pipe and one tobacco). Also, that one pipe was half of the pipes I was using at the time (in addition not not cleaning it very well). So, I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you stick with it and steep yourself in the wisdom of the forum, you will learn what works for you, what causes your problems and then how to remedy them. This lifestyle has a demanding learning curve but it is worth it. Just my 2p.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
If you're having that much trouble, it sounds like you're technique needs some work. Here is the advice my dad gave me back in 1959 when I started smoking a pipe. I still use it and I never have any issues. For best results, try all the pointers together for a week or ten days.
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack looser than you think you need to.

Smoke slower than you think you need to.

Tamp less, and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

Status
Not open for further replies.