PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm looking at trying to find a pipe I can try different tobaccos in without having to buy several cobs. They're is a clay churchwarden for sale at the local B&M that I'm going to buy regardless, but I was wondering if they will ghost. And if they do, does that go away when you put it in an oven/fire? I've got a bunch of completely different tobaccos from a buddy and I want to try them all without messing up my briar. Please help :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think for trying tobaccos and avoiding ghosting, the ten pack of MM cobs (seconds, ten for thirty bucks)

is the best option. I think you might get many more than one trial per pipe, unless you are exquisitely

sensitive to ghosting. Personally, I am not at all sensitive to ghosting. It's simply not an issue. But for

those who are .... I have one Gouda clay pipe from The Netherlands, and I'm not using it for that.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
One thing to be aware of is that contrary to what some people think, clay pipes do need breaking in as when new they can exhibit a noticeable ceramic taste.

Yes I found this to be true with my clay. It really bothered me for quite a while and was probably a dozen or so smokes before I enjoyed the clay at all. Then my son dropped it.
I want to try them all without messing up my briar.

I'm not afraid of ghosts.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Since you intend to use your clay as a 'testbed' I think it might be worth mentioning that not all tobaccos do well in a clay. The traditional choice is baai, a very fine ribbon cut. A coarse cut or a flake will quickly burn wet and hot.

juddeern

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
1 Clay comes in varying degrees of porosity and some will absorb a lot of flavours from tobacco.
2 Putting it in a fire is not the same thing as firing it in a kiln and there is a risk of making the clay more brittle.
3 One thing to be aware of is that contrary to what some people think, clay pipes do need breaking in as when new they can exhibit a noticeable ceramic taste.
4 Remember though that a clay will present tobaccos very differently from briars or cobs and you may dislike a blend smoked in a clay that you would otherwise enjoy so be sure to try it in a variety of pipes before dismissing it.
I agree and disagree on some of these points. I respect your opinions in where we disagree and I only bring up my point as a counter not as an authority on clay.
1. I do agree that clay depending on the maker and clay involved could absorb oils from the tobacco. I have not personally seen this but I'm going to go out on a limb and make a educated guess as to how that could happen. A low grade dig it up in your backyard clay could very well be bad for ghosting. This is one of those times to avoid ghosting knowing your pipe maker and what type of clay they use can be helpful. They're cheap enough though that if you find a particular brand ghosting it can be replaced inexpensively if this is a problem.
2. I absolutely agree a re-fire can definitely lead to a brittle pipe... it's already brittle... how I get around having to do this is by using a small baby tooth brush for the inside of the bowl and soft cloth for the outside and a spirit of some sort. I use straight whiskey personally as it imparts the least amount of "flavor" to the inside of the pipe.
3. I disagree with the breakin. I wash my clay pipes before smoking them. Why? Because every once in a while the manufacture leaves clay dust on the pipe inside the stem and on the bowl. Once washed and left to dry (several days to avoid any chance of cracking under heat, maybe not necessary but it's part of the ritual for a new clay pipe for me personally.) I've never tasted a ceramic flavor from the pipe from the first bowl onward. Secondly I would like to point out most tobacconists when blending tobaccos use clay pipes to test their blends with as the clay will not impart a flavor to the tobacco. I've heard of a few using meerschaum but as they are leaps and bounds more expensive it's more to show off than anything.
4. I totally agree! brier and cobs impart a flavor so it's definitely worth trying on several different pipe types.

Status
Not open for further replies.