PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Pretty often I read of someone who says they smoke a blend that they liked previously only this time they don't like it quite so well.It just makes me wonder..Does a person's taste change or do blends vary from time to time? Or maybe a bit of both.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Both. Balkan Sobrainie has gone through several changes in profile as have other blends that have been resurrected by different blenders. Sometimes I want lighter English blends, other times heavier ones. Other times I'm craving more complex oriental blends. Sometimes it's a bland aro, like Danish Delight, and every now and then it's old lawn clippings like Hal O The Wynd.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Blends do change. In fact ALL blends change over time, and for a lot of different reasons.
1) Blends change because the ingredients change. Tobacco leaf is a natural product, so it is never the same, season to season. Sometimes, a given leaf will go out of production, or just become difficult to obtain in sufficient quantities, so substitutes are made.
2) Blends change because the processes change. Lots of different reasons for that, ranging from altering production to meet increased/decreased demand, government labor and safety law dictating equipment changes, to bean counters seeking greater efficiencies.
3) Blends change because the customer's tastes change. Producers will change a blend when sales drop and focus groups suggest changes.
4) Blends change because manufacturers change. Almost all of the blends/brands that we smoke (with few exceptions) have been sold within the past 15 years. Production gets moved, procurement changes, everything can change except for the brand name.
There are probably a bunch of other reasons, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.