PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
Not sure if this is General, but I just saw the peterson tool and now I want one. Is it included with every new peterson or only the high end pipes?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
They definitely don't come with all new Petes, I did get one with an unsmoked Mark Twain from the 80's once though. I also bought a Peterson house pipe new, and that did not come with a tool. Sorry. If it's any consolation, the tool that came with the Mark Twain was cheap and poorly made, the pipe is superb though!

Jan 8, 2013
I think some sellers may include the Peterson pipe tool along with some Peterson pipes. I've seen different versions as well, such as the "thinking man" pipe tool, the pipe shaped tool with the Peterson logo, and I believe I've seen a few with Sherlock Holmes on the tip. I have not received a pipe tool with any of my Petes, but I've been looking at some on Ebay from a seller in Germany that included them.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Bought a Fermoy a couple of months back and also got the free 'thinking man'tool.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have received many of these (free) thinking tools along with a Pete. More than a half dozen in a drawer still in the cellophane; several seeded around the house for use.
This is a Peterson promotion, from the factory, as there was a round promotional sticker on the box saying something like 'Free Thinking Man Tool Inside'. At least one purchase had the tagline and pipe tool photo art printed directly on the box.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
As snowy owl mentioned, the tool is a promotional item and is most frequently found from UK sourced vendors. Just fyi, there are a few totally legit vendors that sell from the UK through eBay which include the tool. The downside is you usually have to rely on a stock photo.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They don't all come with a tool, but eventually they all find one.
Hmmmm. Nicely ambiguous!
(Was going to make a crack about how some tools come with Petersons (and every other brand), but then I decided I wouldn't....)

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have a couple of them. They are nothing to write home about really. They do the job, but I am sure most of use have far nicer and far more substantial pipe tools than the Pete Promo ones.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
JM Boswell's new pipes come with nice sock, a pipe tool and couple sacks of tobacco (your choice). I once liked his pipes and his prices but it now appears he's gone to making these big honking monster pipes for guys in leather masks making youtube vids.
OTOH, Peterson pipes should come with the tools, materials and solvents for cleaning out the dipstain. (Acme kit #4)

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
but I am sure most of use [sic] have far nicer and far more substantial pipe tools than the Pete Promo ones.
As Dalton says in Road House (1989), "Opinions vary".
The weight exceeds any metal tool I have purchased. Actually the Pete tool is as weighty and strong as a Rogers pipe knife, but thinner.

The tamper is well-anchored, while the blunt scrapping blade is edged such that it works nicely to set back build-up in the bowl better than other multi-function tools.

And it comes with a free pipe.

---
Elsewhere in other pipe discussion groups over the last week, a half dozen notes have pointed their participants to the availability of Stonehaven, Penzance, other Esotericas, Pelican and BS. Here, such posts would be followed-up by: "this stuff sucks", "too much for shipping", and "these six blends are better...".

In two instances, vendors made the posts directly (ones who have been trashed here).
Carry on, boys.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
So... today I picked up my first Peterson... I believe its the ebony series. It's "the system" and its stamped "307".
Ive been lusting after it for nearly 3 weeks. I went into the shop to visit it, had an honest look at some straight bulldogs from peterson, savelli and the owner brought out an estate dunhill that was gorgeous (possibly my next purchase)... but I left with the black military mount in ebony on ebony, an included tin of 3P's (yes, I rubbed it out!!) and a tin of Frog Morton "Across the Pond". The FM's blew me away. I actually stopped to grab a coffee to go with it (black and hot... normally I drink it tasting like cookies... loads of cream & sugar).
Anyways, sadly.... but as expected... no peterson pipe tool. Oh well. Maybe next time I'm visiting relatives in the UK I can make it to ireland and pick one up from the factory 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.