PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midna

Lurker
May 6, 2013
Evening all,

Newbie here, pleased to make your acquaintance!

To avoid an essay, here is the long and short of my problem:

- Being able to enjoy a pipe inside is a rarity

- It's awfully windy in Ol' London Town

- Can't track down a wind cap for the life of me
Any creative minds out there who have overcome this with household items? Hate to smoke my briars so hot!

midna

Lurker
May 6, 2013
Yessir, that'd do nicely. Been scouring the internet for a UK seller.

Minimum order is $5.00 + shipping to the UK is going to cost a small fortune. Not willing to spend that much on a bit of metal.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Might be able to make one out of a metal bottle cap, providing it fits your bowl. Or cut your own out of an aluminium soda can. Tin foil will work in a pinch. I buy from 4noggins on eBay, four at a time. Also good for holding contents of half smoked pipe in pocket. Why don't you PM me and I can send you one for free.

midna

Lurker
May 6, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions :) Will get handy with pliers then!

No worries about sending one- the shipping cost outweighs the cost of the doodad in this case, but I very much appreciate the offer!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
No worries. I'd cut a circular disk from a can, slightly larger than the bowl, and crimp the edges upwards, with pliers to fit the bowl. Leave a little flap sticking up so you can remove it. Then drill five air holes. Should work nicely. Might give it a go myself.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have thought of making my own because its so windy some days. I'm glad this was brought up.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've seen these devises before, but not sure what they do. I smoke outside often and even in the wind, don't seem to have much trouble.
What do they do?
thanks

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I like spring-loaded metal windcaps for a lot of reasons. First of all, they prevent hot ash from escaping the bowl. A fire hazard when piping on the hoof out of doors, in the wind, with dry leaves about. Also useful indoors from preventing hot fly ash from landing and burning holes in your favorite down vest. Secondly, they're great for holding the contents of a partially smoked bowl from pouring out in your coat pockets. A cork would do as well, but the windcap does this admirably, as one of its many functions. Thirdly, I'm convinced that smoking with a windcap lowers the burning temperature of your bowl, due to the restricted access of oxygen to the combusting ember. This results in a slightly cooler smoulder which translates to a more flavorable nuanced smoke. Plus they're very cheap, and the spring loaded clip allows fitting to most chamber sizes. Give em a go, and let me know what you think.
IMAG1835-1.jpg

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Kashmir, I Would think giving smaller holes for air to go through while smoking would make the air jet downward making a hotter flame?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
As long as you maintain that slow smoking cadence, based on a clenched pipe, you'll be drawing on the pipe with the same gusto, or lack thereof, as you would with the cap off. The trick is to maintain the coolest smoulder you can to minimize the volatility of the tobacco oils to maximize the flavor profile. Restricting the flow of oxygen helps to retard the combustion. Like the difference between a shallow pot shape and a tall chimney shape. The latter in theory should burn cooler provided the smoker's draw is the same. What happens often however is that the smoker will pull more forcefully on the chimney to get the same quantity of smoke he's used to getting with less pull on the pot. If the pulls are the same, the chimney should burn cooler. That's why you'll see chimneys with thinner walls than pots oftentimes. There's a lot more to pipe smoking than pipe smoking, as another thread recently mentioned.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I found that extremely helpful and it sounds almost like common sense now that you say it lol thanks for the info :)

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
this forum is so educational... never even knew about these thing-a-ma-jiggies

May 31, 2012
:worship:

Kashmir,killer post! Well done & thanks for puttin' these

thingies on my radar, although I had seen them around,

I didn't really give them much thought or consideration

and your wisdom done lightbulb'd my brain again!

:puffy:

...midna, welcome to the forums!
here's a couple cheap as chips

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&sec=1505&man=230
http://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/pipe-covers-for-smoking-pipes
Hope this helps!

midna

Lurker
May 6, 2013
Couldn't have asked for a better welcome- thanks all for sharing your wisdom.

Will post back when I'm satisfied with my engineering!

midna

Lurker
May 6, 2013
Right, results!

Honestly wasn't expecting such a huge difference in the quality of the smoke but boy was I pleasantly surprised- wasn't sharing my tobacco with the wind, for a change.

Was worried that closing the chamber off would create a little furnace so I packed with the air pocket method to be on the safe side; I find this creates a much cooler smoke for me.

Packed some 7 Seas Royal into a basket pipe (didn't want to experiment with my nice stuff :wink: ) and popped the DIY cap on after my 2nd light.

Terrible weather, boring tobacco, underwhelming pipe: best smoke I've ever had.

Even inside and with better blends, it really made a difference for me.
Experimental procedures

- I used a pair of side cutters and some sturdy scissors to relieve a drinks can of its lid and bottom, then cut it open so I had a curled rectangle of aluminium.

- On a hand towel I rolled the metal sheet out with a rolling pin so it didn't curl while I was working with it

- I marked out a few circles corresponding to the widths of a couple of my pipe bowls. This cap is going to sit in the top of the bowl, so perhaps make it a tad smaller than the capacity of the bowl. A normally biro will do for this.

- For ease of getting the cap back out of the bowl, I also marked out a little flap on the edge of the circle. (The template at this point looked a bit like a crude hot air balloon)

- Before I got busy with the scissors, I punched some holes through the aluminium with a picture nail. I imagine a thumb tack or drawing pin would work just as well. Just push straight through with your thumb and wiggle a bit to get a clean hole. Punch symmetrically for even air flow.

- Cut out around the template with scissors, fold the flap up and gently place it in the top of your bowl to check the size

- Trim as you need

- Enjoy :puffy:
Final thoughts

- If you enjoy your pipes outside/ are curious to try something new/ want to squeeze some taste out of that horrid blend you've shelved indefinitely, I would absolutely recommend a windcap, even if you're not in the wind. If you can't be bothered to make one, pick one up when you next order in some tobacco.

- If you are going to make one, I would recommend choosing a can that hasn't had colour printed onto it. I did notice after a couple of pipes that the print of the can was turning a funny colour. Don't want to think too hard about paint evaporating into my smoke... A diet coke can perhaps.

- I don't imagine I'm going to get much use out of each cap before I chuck them 'cause they're easily bent with clumsy fingers. But you can get 8 or 9 of the things out of a can so I'm not too worried.

- Aluminium is a little harsh around the edges. Probably enough to make a little mark in the cake. I don't imagine it would damage briar but exercise caution.

- As Kashmir touched on, these little things double up as lids for saving that half a bowl for later/ carrying around a prepacked bowl/ stopping ash from flying about.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Glad it worked out! Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates a wind cap. Indoors or out. Damping the chamber like this can indeed produce a richer cooler smoke. Just make sure to keep the same slow smoking cadence with the cap on, and the difference should be readily apparent. I find they work best on billiards and narrow chimneys, as opposed to shallow pots and the like, for the reasons enumerated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.