PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Just received 2 brand new Peterson system pipes today, the large ones, 302XL and 307XL. It's probably not fair to infer from a sampling of 2, but both of these pipes had really obvious flaws which should have never left the factory. On the 302XL, the tenon was loose and wobbly in the shank. On the 307XL, removing the stem and looking down into the shank, the draft hole had been drilled at about 1:00 vs 12:00, and drawing through it sounded like a whistle. However, the 307 had a nice deep moisture well, whereas the 302's was quite shallow. Also, the 302's tenon was funnel-shaped at the end, whereas the 307's was flat (not sure if that was a QC lapse or done purposely, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.)
So, I applied a thin film of my wife's discarded lipstick on the stem part that fits into the shank, which left marks where it was binding prematurely, and then with a Dreml and sanding bit, gradually sanded and re-marked and sanded again until I had the 302's stem fitting perfectly. I also deepened the moisture well so it will actually function as designed. The draft hole was already 5/32 so I left it be.
On the 307 I funneled the tenon end and drilled out the misaligned draft hole to 5/32", keeping the drill biased toward 12:00 to straighten it as much as I could. Then I chamfered where the draft hole emerges into the shank, which cured the whistle effect.
All of the above took about 10 minutes per pipe average. Idk Ireland's labor rate, but maybe that much added would push these pipes past their intended price point, so maybe I should not complain, I mean, at least the draft holes weren't drilled through the bottom of the bowls...
And maybe, no definitely I should have packed them up and sent them both back to the retailer asking for an exchange. If people did that, Peterson would have to get on the stick with QC. So it's my bad. But I would have to have paid the return shipping, and what if the exchanges were the same? Or worse? At least I could rectify the issues with these. But I shall not be buying any more Petersons, at least, not sight-unseen, and my local B&M doesn't stock them.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It sucks that guys are having problems like this! I'm a Peterson fan, and I currently own 14 Petersons. So far, I've not had any real issues. The only issue I've had at all, was some stain in the bowl of my "03" Dracula, but that was easily remedied.

I was at my B&M the other day, and actually got to meet the Peterson rep. While it slipped my mind to ask him about the QC issues, me and Melvin ( the owner of the B&M ) did ask him why it takes so long to get their pipes in stock when ordered. He replied that they were working on several issues, and that things should be getting better. I guess we'll see.

I'm sure I'll continue to buy Petersons, but I've slowed down on them for now. The last few pipes I've bought have been Savinelli, Stanwell, Aldo Velani, Caminetto and Castania, although I do not currently have the Aldo Velani in my possession ( it will be mine next week). I've been very lucky, I suppose, with my Petersons. Most all of them are excellent smokers, though a couple are what I would call average, and the craftsmanship is mostly very good, though a couple of them have some minor fills. I hope things get better with Peterson, it'd be a shame to see such an iconic company take dive into the ditch!

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Buying a pipe is such a personal thing that if you were not happy with the original purchase, you should have returned it. From this day forward, you will always be smoking something that you know in the back of your head is not perfect, or is not the item that you thought you were purchasing.

Any good B&M will take back the pipe if it has a flaw(s), and would suggest a replacement. Granted there is an ongoing issue with Peterson's quality control, but on the higher end Pete's there hasn't been that much of an issue.

By altering the pipe's flaws, I fear you didn't necessarily fix the problem. For example, if the 307 was incorrectly drilled, no amount of re-drilling will really fix the problem (in your mind it may be fixed).

In the future, just send them back and ask around for the general consensus as to whether any one else has had problems similar.

Good luck with future purchases!
Shutterbug

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
After reading the horror stories I've resolved to only buy a Peterson from the store in Dublin on my semi-annual trips to the island. I've only seen one less than stellar pipe on display in that shop and I purchased it at an astounding discount. One little dent, I believe someone dropped it and the damage went unnoticed, and I had a silver cap for less than a 100 euro.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
that's 2 Petes that Peterson will assume were good since you didn't return them. if bought from an online store why didn't they return them instead of passing along to a customer? it was your $$$ you should never have to 'settle'.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
@dochudson: you are 100% correct I should have sent them back so the company would take notice of their QC problems. I have a liking for re-engineering things with an eye on improvement, and it sometimes it overrides my better judgment.
@shutterbug (I couldn't find a way to change my username or I would have...but I guess it's 2 hobbies we have in common :) ) : Thankfully I was successful. I just finished a full bowl of Bosphorus Cruise in the 307 (the one with the skewed draft hole), and it smoked perfectly all the way down to the heel. Easy draw, no gurgle, in fact my cotton plug I put in the bottom of the reservoir was barely damp. So I do consider it fixed. I'm not OCD about these things. If it smokes well that's all that matters to me. Frankly the ill-fitting stem in the 302 upset me more, because mating tapered parts intimately (so there is equal friction all around) by hand is tricky.
I prefer not to publicly out the retailer but it's not one who advertises/supports this site.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Update: Just finished a delightful bowl of Sutliff Barbados Plantation in the 302XL, smoked cool and dry all the way to the heel despite a bit more agressive puffing than usual (just to put it to the test). This time the absorbent cotton plug in the bottom of my deeper-drilled reservoir was soaked (not surprising considering it was a moist aro and I was puffing too hard) but it didn't gurgle or spill over.
And both petes have begun to cake nicely, despite the fact I didn't do a partial-bowl break-in, just loaded them to the top and smoked em to the bottom. Whatever the rough black treatment Peterson uses is good. Idk what people are talking about they take a long time to break in. I consider these broken in already.
And despite the initial QC issues, I must say, all my new petes are great smoking pipes, and it is a pleasant change not to have to ram a pipecleaner through my pipe multiple times while smoking.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
All is well when it ends well. Glad they smoke good for you. But whoever you bought them from needs to comb through their Petes when they get them from the distributor. Sometimes a small percentage of what shouldn't have gone out the door ( Peterson cranks out A LOT of pipes ) slips through when there aren't enough watchful eyes :roll:

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I have several Peterson's, some are higher end models too, I have had to do something to almost all of them to get optimal performance from them sadly.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm really saddened by the Peterson quality problem. I've always loved the classic style of their pipes. So far, I've been fortunate with my Peterson purchases, but I'm concerned about future purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.