PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Went to an old antique shop yesterday. Guy had a old maytag dryer Motor with a spindle attached to it, things got to be 50yo at least, runs at 1750 RPM's. Bought it for $10 bucks. Seems like it will work nicely for buffing stems and briars. It's got to be better than continuing using my battery drill. Anyone Used this set up?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Woodcraft used to sell arbor sets with a large pulley to reduce the speed down to 400-600 Rpm. I'm sure someone still sells something like it.
You just bolt the motor to a piece of plywood and pick up a cheap fan belt.
Boom!...low speed buffing.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Oh, I thought somewhere around 1500 was a good speed, didn't know it needed to be that low.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I used mine for sharpening wood carving gouges. If 1500 can be too hot for steel, it might be too high for wood. In my experience, you can always use a lower grit compound for more aggression. It's hard to use less once it's too late.
But I will defer to someone like George or any carver here.

Jan 8, 2013
Oh, I thought somewhere around 1500 was a good speed, didn't know it needed to be that low.
I've heard quite a few different opinions on the subject of speed. But from what I understand 1500 is ok. I would think 1750 RPM (no load RPM) would be fine too. My buffer has a speed range of 2000 to 7000 RPM. I of course use the lowest setting and I've had no problems. Just remember to use a soft touch and constantly turn and be especially mindful of the stem.
Edit to add:
But I will defer to someone like George or any carver here
For the sake of hearing the opinion of someone with more experience than I, I'd like them to chime in as well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
my motor is 1725 rpm, which is fine for pipe work.

I have a 3000 rpm buffer for metal work, which requires a higher speed.

You can get a pad arbor from Jestco for $14 and they have pretty good prices on pads as well.

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40
Caswell also sells them, pretty cheap.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing/buffing-adapters.html

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Thanks Al, I wonder if you could some how make a long shaft that would fit multiple pads, kind of like a lathe system

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Al, I wonder if you could some how make a long shaft that would fit multiple pads, kind of like a lathe system
On my setup - No. After wasting about $15 on rod, couplers and washers, they all went in the trash. The runnout is not very precise so I had an awful wobble at the end of the shaft (I tired varying lengths).
This forum member, Charles Lemon, had success with this setup:

https://dadspipes.com/2015/10/17/new-buffing-station-day/
Alan Chestnut made this system, the best solution.

https://dadspipes.com/2015/10/17/new-buffing-station-day/
buffer8.jpg

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
1.500 rpm sounds fine to me. My buffer runs much faster and all I have to do is to adjust the pressure and duration. Of course it would be nice to have the perfect setup but I believe your old motor will give you great service for the rest of your life! :clap:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I use my pillar drill (bench drill) for all sorts of buffing from polishing compounds to carnauba wax and I have it running at ~1900 RPM with no issues whatsoever. The trick is to keep the piece moving and not use too much pressure.
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, Facebook marketing works. I only casually use Facebook, and never the "Marketplace" section but struck a little gold. But last night, looking at pictures of my granddaughter, the sales section had a couple of buffers/grinders on a stand for sale. The seller was an older gentleman, who wasn't sure what was there but understood my request for the RPM and HP spec. He called me back and confirmed that the old Craftsman motor which appeared to be a likely suspect was indeed 1725 RPM and 1/2 HP. I picked it up today, it should last my lifetime (has the old style oil ports lacking on new motors). I'll probably pick up a set of extended arbors from Caswell. I'm mulling over how to mount it to my table, or if the the heavy rubber feet will suffice. The seller had even wired up a power switch and it has a heavy duty cord/plug. I'll keep the carnuba pad mounted on my single buffer (1/4 hp @ 1725 rpm) and use the dual arbor motor, which has a little more grunt for White Diamond and Plastic polish.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Has anyone tried adding a dimmer switch to adjust the RPMs?
Yes and no. A cheaper, Router Speed control unit will not work and will burn up your motor pretty quickly. I tried and returned this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html
They make much more expensive motor speed controls, but those were more than a new motor (at least the last time I researched).
I just ordered two, 6" arbor extenders from Jestco. The arbor's from Caswell were only $7 each and $14 for the Jestco extended units. But I thought the Caswell arbors would be too short. The shafts on that new motor were 5/8" and 1/2" and Jestco had one for each side.
Arborext.jpg

I have my high speed bench grinder on a free-standing pedestal mount from Harbor-Freight. Its' too short for pipe work (too low). I may have our welding shop add an extension to it, so it is just above waist high and then leave the other buffer mounted on my table.

Status
Not open for further replies.