PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
A couple of things. If I'm starting too many threads let me know. I tend to be a bit keen when new to a forum.
Also, let me stress I'm not fishing for 'legal highs' here. I did some youtubing on DIY tobacco alternatives and was quite surprised how little turned up - maybe there's a reason for that :)
Anyway among the usual herbal alternatives available online, I only found a couple who were making stuff themselves - usually from a blend of smokable herbs (or 'Erbs as you Americans say :)). One guy collected blackberry leaves, let them dry, and then cooked them in a frying pan with some honey-infused water. The video cuts off just as he's about to drag on his concoction, but again maybe there's a reason for that too.
So, if the idea isn't utterly deplorable to you seasoned pipe smokers, do any of you know of any easy-to-make alternatives to tobacco?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Probably not much use to you in the UK, but there's a plant colloquially known as Rabbit Tobacco here in the southern US, and I've heard of people drying the leaves and smoking them.
4710913761_d2a2a0cd5b_b.jpg

I think Embers has some experience with Kinnikinnick and other stuff, hopefully he'll chime in.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Looks like what we called “Indian Toilet Paper”. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with that phrase nor do I condone its use, this was back in the 80’s when I lived in Northern AZ. Today the proper term would be, “Native American Toilet Paper”. I probably still offended someone somewheres out theres.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Mullein is the most common alternative I've heard of. The leaves of raspberry, black raspberry (and their close relatives), mugwort, coltsfoot, and others have also been used. There are a decent number of results from searching "smokable herbs" on ye olde interwebs. I've not tried any of them myself, but I have a friend who likes to mix mullein, raspberry and maybe one other in with his *ahem* "wacky" tobaccy to smooth out the smoke a bit. So I'm guessing many of the popular smokable herbs are less harsh than tobacco, but the flavors may be milder or more neutral?

Status
Not open for further replies.