PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Imagine for a moment that you've just recieved a big bag or box of tobacco, at least a pound. You don't have a specific plan to age the tobacco, but you do want to jar it. What size jars do you use?
I had two bags from D&R, very dry and 16oz each. Used two quart and two pint jars for each of the bags, that's what I had on hand. Curious to know what you fellas would prefer!
There's been a lot of jar talk before, sorry if this same question has already been posed.

I like to use small jars, but not too small. Because when I pop a jar of aged tobacco, as soon as it gets air, it starts deteriorating fast.

So, 2-3oz is my ideal size.

If it is dry, like D&R comes in the bag, I use the half-pint jars.

If it is dense or flakes, I use the 4oz (volume not weight) jars.

I just jarred up three pounds of D&R Picayune yesterday.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I think I'll switch out to smaller jars after the Minneapolis move, the big jars will be easier to ship and store until then. How old does tobacco need to be before you worry about age-related deterioration?

It really just depends on a lot of factor's. I've had some ten your old Virginias hold up well, and some not. 20 year old Escudo seems perfect sometimes, and sometimes I've seen it turn to saw dust after the jar has been open for a few days. Hard to say.
I just know that if I put them in pint jars, I would also get bored to death with that one blend after a while. I also hate large tins for that reason.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Alright, so I shouldn't have to worry if I get them rejarred in the next year, right?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
kmhaines, you'll be fine for a while. If aging vs storing is your goal then when you open the jar aging stops, but if your're just storing it doesn't really matter.
FWIW, I store my baccy in pint jars and 4 oz jars. Keeps it simple.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
If I get in real dry tobacco like D&R I usually rehydrate before jarring it. Can't really see that jar size matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.