PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
While sitting around with a few of my pipe smoking friends and acquaintances, we found ourselves on the topic of holes and cracks in pipe bowls. One old timer who'd been smoking since he was a teenager, and I'd say he was in his early to mid eighties now, told us to just stuff the crack or hole with fireproof caulk or fire barrier spot sealant and go right back to smoking it. Said he'd fixed countless pipes that way. 8O
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Fireplace Mortar repair is sodium silicate which is glass, the only health related concern is if you sand it, you would not want to breathe it, MSDS sheet said it is non toxic, .

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I drilled a hole through the bottom of one of my pipes when I was in a hurry to open the draught hole and I've been trying to figure out what to use to seal it back up. Thanks for the info!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So this isn't going to let off chemical fumes when heated?
With regard to the fireproof caulk (which I don't think is the same as the mortar repair stuff The Old Cajun is talking about), it's designed specifically to be heat resistant and not toxic when heated - it's the sort of stuff that's used to seal conduit holes in firewalls, and can't produce toxic fumes if used in plenum spaces (air returns, HVAC ducts, that sort of thing).
I used it once in an apartment years ago to fill in a hole around a radiator pipe after consulting with a guy at the local hardware store - once it's cured, it doesn't off gas at all, near as I could ever tell. I wouldn't use it on a tobacco pipe myself without checking the MSDS information.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Not sure how you all are getting so many holes and cracks in your pipes!
If it's burn-out -- which, if it's going to happen, will happen within the first few bowls in a new pipe -- then the manufacturer should replace the pipe free of charge.
But otherwise, I can't imagine how you'd get a cracked bowl or a hole in the bowl if a pipe is even moderately maintained and cared for.
Bob

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Fireplace ash and water works much better than cigar ash, it is like the difference between pipe and cigar ash, real night and day. This is provided that you are not burning anything toxic, which is pretty unlikely considering it is in your home and you would breathe it in... I have used this before in corn cob pipes and it is so strong, (unlike cigar ash) that I consider it a permanent fix. It even has a satisfying metallic "clink" if you tap it with anything metal, just like cement.

Aug 1, 2012
If you consider that it is safe for home fireplaces (non-ventilated rooms) then it won't release harmful chemicals due to heat or direct flame. It may sound a bit dubious but when you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. Such is the case with many "work-smarter-not-harder" tips from old-timers.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
When I get holes in my Dunhills, why I'll just wad up a plug of asbestos and stuff it in that there hole. Seems to do the trick. Occasionally you've got to pick out the shards of asbestos from between your teeth. But flossing seems to take care of that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A number of makers use sodium silicate to coat pipe bowls (they use the term "water glass coating"). So, I don't think plugging a hole with a similar substance would cause any issues. I just mix up some pipe mud with cigar ash collected at my local shop (which is always met with some questions from the cigar guys...)

deeppastry

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
I say go with Pipe Mud, great post about it here that's sticky. That is only if you don't already have access to the non-toxic caulk/sealant stuff. Wouldn't bother going out and buying it just for your pipes, but if you or a friend already has some...
Sadly, I have to use all my asbestos as a filler when I make bread. Really stretches out that flour.
DeepPastry

Status
Not open for further replies.