PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
I had made a post before saying I was interested in Walt Disney pipes. Well, I snagged one off ebay a yesterday. I haven't gotten to examine it in person yet. It looks a bit knocked around, but it didn't look beyond saving. I'm no expert, but I am interested in your opinions. I've been collecting a few Disney tobacco-related items and have been keeping them on display in a curio cabinet. To my eye, I think a good restoration might be able to get this baby in smoking condition. Do you all think, based on the pictures, that this might be the case or does it look too far gone to invest money into a restore? Money isn't really my concern here. I just don't want to invest in a restoration if the pipe won't be smokeable. Here are the pictures from the listing:
Some fills and heavy oxidation.

Looks good to me on this side.

Charring and/or heavy tar build up on the rim.

A view from the front. Marks on rim actually don't look too bad on this image.

Nothing really to report on the bottom. Looks like one small fill.

Close up of the fills and logo.

Thanks for any advice.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
To be honest with you, that pipe looks cleaner and in better condition than just about any pipe I own, so I'd just do a salt/alcohol treatment to remove ghosts (might have to do it several times), let it dry out for a week, and smoke it.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I'm leaning towards having someone clean it up for me. My wife's family is a Disney family, and they really got me into it. A Disney pipe is a great way to bring my interests and her interests together. This was one of the few times where she was happy I bought a pipe. I'd prefer someone with more experience do the cleaning especially since I don't have the materials to shine it all up well. Still looking for more opinions or a good repair man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure, I'd have it rehabbed like new. I don't think it will be that expensive.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like a spit shine of the rim and an alcohol bath followed by some polishing with a magic eraser for the stem is all she needs. I'd second giving it a salt/alcohol treatment to help remove any ghosts. Enjoy!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Piece of cake! That one would shine up easily and should smoke just fine,even if it does have a couple of fills.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm certainly no expert, but it doesn't look like there are any issues with this pipe that you couldn't clean up yourself, Psych. Salt/alcohol for the inside. Q-tips, saliva, and elbow grease for the rim. And a Magic Eraser and some stem oil for the stem. I think you'll be good to go.
Bob

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Really nice looking pipe. A little time and love on the stem and a few minutes on the buffing wheel that would one would come out looking like a jewel! I say clean it up.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Best guess from here after looking @ the pics is that whether you choose to have it professionally done or DIY, that could turn out to be a pretty decent smoker ...
Go for it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.