PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Sent the Kapet to Ireland because it wouldn't pass a cleaner, at all! Got it back promptly and it still won't pass a cleaner, AT ALL !!! Looks like they tried to enlarge the draft hole a bit and they replaced the stem, which is now loose. Is anyone at Peterson paying attention ? This is just pathetic. They will never get another dime from me, not even for a higher end pipe. Think I'll go smoke a Savinelli now and calm down.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Use a reputable pipe repair person to repair your pipes, Pete company has let themselves go so to speak... You can make the stem fit right by putting the part that connects to the pipe over a flame until it gets warm and then sticking an awl up it to flange out (enlarge) the opening, this will make it fit perfectly and is a permanent fix as long as you don't actually start burning the stem.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I had a similar issue. I sent my Rosslare Royal for repair and it came back better, but not fully repaired.
I wrote Managing Director Tom Palmer directly. Even if you're pissed, you catch more flies with honey as the saying goes—so I remained friendly, respectful (explained how much I had wanted a Peterson pipe) and simply expressed my disappointment. I honestly didn't expect a reply right away, if ever.
He responded within 10 mins - and probably from his home since it was after 7pm Ireland time and it was sent from his iPhone. He apologized and asked me to send it in again, this time to his attention.
So while I was frustrated to have to send it twice - I now have a pipe I really enjoy.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
This seems strange to me given Petersons cost more than ever, the company are selling less and they are fighting for market share in a much smaller community. You would think they're quality would be second to none. What happened to pride in workmanship? To hell with repairing your pipe they should be replacing it to keep your business!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been looking at a bunch of Peterson's lately and would really like to buy one, you guys have me a little nervous now

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Roth.
Just ask questions if ordering online.
Unfortunately, its rare for a bent Peterson to pass a cleaner. Even the non system pipes have a little well that obstructs the cleaner. If you want a bent, I recommend going with a system pipe or military bit unless they verify it passes a cleaner.
The lower end pipes like Kapet and Donegal Rocky and others have a stain that is usually needing to be removed from inside the shank, so there is work involved unless the taste does not bother you. The pre-carbed pipes I have gotten have been easy to break in and have tasted great from the get go, except for my two Kapets.
Of all the Peterson's I have looked at this past year, it seems 25% have an issue that requires passing on. So you just gotta be careful. They are definitely worth it though.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 mrenglish
Due to their construction, bent Petersons ( both old and new ) will almost never pass a cleaner due to the little well in the shank. My 2012 hallmarked Rosslare 80s Bulldog will pass one with a little twist of the cleaner.
No issues with the draw. It makes it need a little TLC on cleaning i.e. you have to pull the stem to get all the juice out. That being said, I've had bents from other makers that would pass a cleaner yet smoke like shit and allow stuff to be sucked up through the stem. Guess which ones I prefer 8O

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
PS where do you guys find these "dog" Petersons with issues? I've bought almost all my new ones from either SP or P&C, also got some barely used new production estates even off eBay and I haven't encountered these problems ....

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have seven Peterson pipes right now, three Arans, a Dalkey, a Killarney, a Pipe of the Year 2011, and a Pipe of the Year 2012 and I love them all. I've never had any problems with the bands or the draft holes being misdrilled or anything like that. The lower end ones do have a few noticeable fills, about two to three, if you examine the grain carefully but, other than that they smoke wonderfully. Right now the one I love smoking the most is my Aran 05 which I bought last year. It never fails to give a great smoke. Maybe my Irish heritage has leant me some luck of the Irish with Peterson idk. I definitely would reccommend getting intouch with Mr. Palmer. From what I've heard from numerous people he's usually really good with customer service and correcting any problems with a pipe.

Aug 14, 2012
I got a $200 system Pete which had a draft hole not drilled quite through. I carved it open with a knife. Honestly I am pretty disgusted with Peterson right now. I got a lot of their pipes last year and had to reject a large % of them because of little problems. Things like bad tasting stains and stems that didn't fit quite right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think anyone who buys a Peterson pipe at this time is nuts. By supporting them now you are supporting a company that is doing a disservice to pipe smokers the world over. They do not deserve your business until they have proven they care about quality control. There are so many better options out there, there is no reason to buy a Pete. I have seen with my own eyes how bad their quality is.
The OP should never have had to deal with this type of problem. Peterson simply does not care about it's customers and that is an indisputable fact.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think anyone who buys a Peterson pipe at this time is nuts. By supporting them now you are supporting a company that is doing a disservice to pipe smokers the world over. They do not deserve your business until they have proven they care about quality control. There are so many better options out there, there is no reason to buy a Pete. I have seen with my own eyes how bad their quality is.
The OP should never have had to deal with this type of problem. Peterson simply does not care about it's customers and that is an indisputable fact.
+1
I really want to like Peterson pipes. I have only two. Both had their issues, but both are decent smokers (finally).
Still, Harris is right (well, maybe except the part that anyone who buys one is nuts - I think they can be worth taking a risk on occasion).
My impression, from seeing interviews with Tom Palmer is that he won't own up to the problems. When confronted with the complaints, he seems more irritated than contrite. Anyway, that was my impression.
He will admit to making some changes in production to appease the consumer, but I don't think he realizes the seriousness of the issues. They are well known. I hope he not only makes significant changes, but makes a public announcement about doing so. It's time for some damage control.

Aug 14, 2012
Personally, I am done with them. I have 8 of their meerschaums and 18 briars. Will not be getting any more. I also have cancelled plans to get a Peterson dealership for my (camera) store.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Six, I am sorry but you should not have to take a risk when you buy a pipe. People should expect to get a properly drilled pipe where the fit, finish and stain are all done properly. Why would you want to buy another when you have had issues with the two you bought? I bet you had no issues with your Italian pipes that are in the same price range. The only way that Peterson will get their act together is if they lose sales in a dramatic fashion, buy taking a risk on one you are only reinforcing their bad behavior.
Your take on Mr Palmer shows that he could care less about his customers,he should be owning up to the fact that there are MAJOR quality control issues. He should be coming out with a public apology and a promise to fix the problems. He should also be telling his vendors to return every pipe that has issues to get them off the market.
foggy, good for you. Voting with your wallet is the only way to get their attention. I hope you wrote them explaining why you are not going to carry their line.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
buy taking a risk on one you are only reinforcing their bad behavior
I have to admit, I don't even check them out anymore when gawking over pipes. And I don't recommend them anymore. However, if I saw one I liked for a good price, I might go for it.
The only issue with my Aran was the break-in period. Way too long. Still, the fit and finish are excellent and it's a nice smoker now. My Rosslare Royal was a different story. But they made good on it and I really like that pipe. It's gorgeous to look at and hold and it's a fine smoker too.
I know this is an argument that I can't win because you're right of course. Still, pipes are a weird animal. Sometimes we buy with our heart, not our head. :puffy:
ross.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, six, that is a beauty. I have two Petes. One is a bent bulldog with no issues. My second was bought last fall -- a Donegal Rocky Lovat which had some problems where the draft hole entered the bowl. The draft hole wasn't quite round and there was a bit of briar hanging on at the end. A sharp knife took care of the "hanging chad" and the air hole is centered properly, but how did it leave the factory (or Smoking Pipes.com) without someone discovering these obvious issues? I certainly wouldn't buy another unless I saw it in the shop or else didn't mind the hassle of returning it -- which I would. The only reason I didn't return the Lovat is that it was a birthday present from my wife. If it were a serious issue or one I couldn't take care of, I would have sent it back. As it is, the pipe smokes great, I enjoy it and my wife was none the wiser -- happy to have gotten the pipe I wanted.
Still, I'm shocked at the scuttlebutt on Mr. Palmer. Where did you guys hear that he is more irritated than contrite about reported problems? Citation, please. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.