Discovery Leads to Learning

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by newbroom
  • Latest reply from brian64
  1. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a B. Barlings & Sons estate pipe (#4065) a couple of years ago, and I smoke it from time to time.
    It easily passes a pipe cleaner, has a comfortable stem, incredible finish and as I looked more closely at it while I was out in the sunlight, I noticed some printing on the underside of the shank right near the edge that read: Made in Denmark.
    I went to Pipedia and read (once again) the wonderful and exhaustive information there, supplied I believe, by member, Sablebrush, our noted Barling expert/collector.
    It said that in the 70's Eric Nording made about 100k pipes for Barling, so I ASSUME, mine was made by Nording.
    I paid about $30.00 for it, and I'm quite happy with it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet deal, sweet pipe, nice photo.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

What a fun discovery! There's always more to our pipes than just what they're carved from. Great looking pipe Mike!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is the horsie part of a chess set?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Olkofri, yes. I've had this cast chess set for years. I never use it. It came with a leather wrapped board in black and green. The pieces are silver and gold, and they're not really distinguisable enough for practical use.

Yeah, Duane, it's fun to realize how much you can still learn about things you thought you knew about, hehehe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

That's a sweet ashtray as well!

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I would be very happy with that pipe too. The grain looks great, it’s a good traditional cut, and an all around handsome fellow. I’d be proud to own it.

May you smoke it in good health and in good times!

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a great find for $30!

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac