PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've been smoking this Radice Rind hawkbill for a couple of years. It has been just "ok" -- it found a spot in my rotation easily enough, but had never produced a really inspiring smoke. My main criticism was that while it passed a standard pipe cleaner smoothly, it wouldn't pass a thick-bristled pipe cleaner because of the diameter of the draw. So yesterday I worked up the nerve to straighten the stem with heat, ream it out with a #32 drill (~ 3mm), and restore its original curve. Now it's smoking like a champ! It is absolutely amazing how opening the diameter of the stem improved the pipe!

DSCN0564.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, I thought about having it done professionally, which would have been at least $15, probably more, + 2-way postage.

And I figured that in the worst case (a botched stem) I could get it replaced for around $25 anyway, so not much courage required.

It was pretty easy because the acrylic stem is scarcely 2" long -- an easy reach for jobber-length drills.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done...good on ya for doing that fix on your own. Good looking pipe by the way. :clap:

Mar 1, 2014
I'm ordering tapered bits for this kind of stuff. It can be more than a little frustrating watching a drill bit slowly drift off center with not much you can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.