Discontinued Blends?

(59 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from ericusrex
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been out of the loop for about a year or more and would like some info please. I just read where Klondike Gold has been discontinued and was wondering what other blends or even brands have also bitten the dust.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't answer your question right now, but I'm sure there will be some folks here that will. I really just wanted to say

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigrmaster, don't know a thing about Klondike Gold but welcome back to the fold. It hasn't been the same without you. We only hear now and then from peck, but he's still makes an appearance. Maybe he'll be more present now that you're back. You two provided a lot of good jive hereabouts. I'm just mumbling around as usual. Welcome back!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back, Harris. Like MSO said, you have been greatly missed here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, I have missed you all a great deal. I couldn't smoke so hanging out here would have been torture.

jim, so what else besides Klondike Gold has been discontinued? Also have any mfgs bought or sold each others blends?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The clock is ticking on all Dunhill blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, it's hard to tell whether some blends have been discontinued. You can't always get an answer to the question, and some, I believe may still be made, but not sold here any more. I know Rotary Navy Cut is no longer made, all Brigham blends are gone, but I dunno what else for sure. I'm not buying tobacco these days, so I'm not much help to you here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jim, what about the comment above about Dunhill? Are they quitting the tobacco business?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

McClelland Christmas Cheer, Yenidje Highlander, and Erinmore Plug are gone as well.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

what about the comment above about Dunhill? Are they quitting the tobacco business?

Yep

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anything and everything with Syrian Latakia is no more.
    Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yo Harris

Great to hear you're doing ok, and it's even better to see you getting back into the loop. About the time you started your hiatus, there was a cascade of new blends inspired by trying to get into the market before one of the FDA deadlines. Some of these were tinnings of existing bulks, and others were tweaks of the same. But along with Dunhill's announcement of exiting the business one of these days, Brigham, Drew Estate and Tsuge quit production. Other disruptions involve GQ and HU, and a number of blends also went out of production. The new EU and Brit regs forcing relabelings and renamings seem to have forced repackaging of the survivors.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All the Standard Tobacco blends are still rocking along including a few that we didn't 'cook up' that just seemed to appear!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. okiebrad

okiebrad

Login to Send PM

Welcome back cigrmaster. Anything from Smokershaven is premium or extinct. Pipeswork and Wilke has retired from blending. Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop gone the way of the dodo. Sadly yes, many blends have gone and many more will go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop gone the way of the dodo.

I heard SPC has picked up some of their blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Wilke blends have been picked up as well.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back, dude! Velvan Plug is another one that got discontinued along with Erinmore Plug but obviously neither of those were available in the States anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never to did figure out why the guys at Swedish Match tossed the Erinmore Plug but kept that piece of 4 by 2 wood off cut called Yachtsman Plug in production.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Harris,

So some things, like Brigham, have gone poof, goodbye. Dunhill tobaccos will be discontinued in the US, and probably the planet, within the next 12 months. But new blends have come on the market, Pease has reissued some of his old blends, including some Drucquer & Son blends and Stonehenge flake. Also, while Dunhill branded tobaccos are still available, they reissued a few of their discontinued blends. Esoterica blends continue to be elusive and Germain's deliveries continue to be erratic and unpredictable.

The timeframe for the FDA guillotine has been delayed from 2018 to 2021 so many endangered blends will be around longer.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to see you back Harris................
    Personally I don't think Dunhill blends will go anywhere, They will be here till the end......... Just my .02............
    But stock up just in case..........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris! Welcome back.

I think blends are about covered. MacBaren's Vintage Syrian is still around.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Wilderness is gone :'(
    And as mentioned everything that was supposed to have even a single straw of Syrian Lat.

Vintage Syrian aside

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Following that, 3 Oaks Syrian is gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClelland ran out of Syrian lat. Mac Baron still has it they say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MacBaren's supply of Syrian latakia has got to be pretty darned low. They had 2 or 3 years supply left as of the Chicago Pipe Show of 2015.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You and me both, Harris!

.....also from this side of the pond:-

- Hawky mentioned Velvan, but Mick McQuaid (Plug and Square Cut) are now also gone.

- All of Glenn Quelch's wonderful GQ Tobaccos blends are gone. GQ Tobaccos is now trading again, but without him at the helm and without his boutique blends.

- Bulwark Flake

- Irish Slices

The latter two blends were discontinued without warning......poof.....gone! Two of my favourite 'Olde Brit-tasting' baccies!

I did manage to stock up on GQ and McQuaid before they went under.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was wondering where you went! Glad your back! Are you smoking again then?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you, didimauw! Heavily into the old Brit (GH&Co, SG and Germain) flakes that I cut my teeth on about 20 years ago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great hearing from you again, Harris!

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[MacBaren's supply of Syrian latakia has got to be pretty darned low. They had 2 or 3 years supply left as of the Chicago Pipe Show of 2015.]

And it looks like the last batch of Syrian they are using is different and of lower quality than the one previously used. So I really think we have to consider all Syrian blends gone now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of the welcome back guys, it really means a lot to me. The one thing of being away for so long is the extra year plus my tobacco has aged. I opened one of my containers that had a dozen or so open tins in it and the tobacco was as fresh as when I put it in.

I have a bunch of Rotary Navy and Klondike Gold. I am so glad I stocked up as they are a couple of my favorites.

Jesse or anyone else, have you smoked the GL Pease Stonehenge? Is it as good as it use to be?

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I think you can buy the Stonehenge with confidence if you were able to handle the older version. There is a very small amount of red Virginia in it, so you need to take that into consideration. Here's my review if it'd help you:

The various Virginias offers a range of flavors: plenty of fermented stewed ripe and tangy dark fruit with a lot of earth, some tart and not tart citrus, and a few grass notes, along with a minor hits of tea and vinegar. They also provide a mild floral quality which is slightly more obvious in the first half than it is later on. They form the major base of the blend. The touch of Malawi burley has some earth, nuts, toast and wood far in the background. The deep raisins, prunes, plum and moderate spice from the Saint James perique continually underscores the experience. The cocoa topping is lightly applied, but works well in concert with the Lakeland-esque additive. These toppings do tone down the varietals a mite, though the Lakeland recedes some in the last third of the bowl, more so than the cocoa, which weakens slightly. No chance of bite or harshness, and sports no dull moments. The nic-hit is a step closer to medium than it is to mild. The flakes are a little moist, but need no dry time. Burns a little slow, and fairly cool with a rather consistent taste that also has a little creaminess. Leaves just a little moisture in the pipe, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant after taste that lingers. Not an all day smoke, but it’s a repeatable one, provided you can find a tin.

As for the new version, I find few differences. The fermentation from the Virginias is barely present, but that was due to the aging process anyway. The Lakeland essence is a tad stronger and the cocoa is a little more more obvious than that, and a bit more prominent than the 2001 version. Again, I attribute this to the age of the original as related to fresh. As with the older production, the Lakeland loses a little of its impact by the last third of your smoke, and the cocoa hardly does (same as the 2001 sample). The only other thing I observe is that the perique is tad less noticeable here, but I’d attribute that to the freshness of the blend because the toppings of the old were muted just a little over time, and their full influence when fresh would naturally reduce the effectiveness of some varietals that are added in small amounts. The Malawi burley is moderately less affected. For the most part, the tobaccos deliver as they did in the past. The bottom line is that the differences are due to the aging process, and not a change in recipe as the variables aren’t quite as obvious as this review makes them seem in cold print.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jim, thanks for the great review. I did smoke a few bowls of the original way back when and did not care for it due to the Lakeland essence. I am pretty sure I would not care for this newer version. I bet a whole lot of people are happy though as the older version was pretty popular.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

have you smoked the GL Pease Stonehenge? Is it as good as it use to be?

I love it! And for fun, look what you missed during your hiatus.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/campd-just-teased-re-release-of-stonehenge-on-6-23-17

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

chasing, thanks for the link. I just checked and they have 95 left, do you think that is from the original run? Did other retailers get it or was it an exclusive? I am going to buy one tin just to try it, hell maybe my distaste for Lakelands is gone after my hiatus.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pm me your address, Harris and I’ll send you a sample...

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hawky, thanks very much for your kind offer, pm sent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

hell maybe my distaste for Lakelands is gone after my hiatus.

Have no fear, only very mildly lakeland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So what is the deal with the FDA, are they trying to totally shut down pipe tobacco?

Also what is up with the EU and Britian? Where is the rumor about Dunhill shutting down coming from?

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Essentially the FDA is trying to shut everything down by regulating tobacco and tobacco products (pipes and accessories) out of business. The good news is, after several law suits, the impending regulations have been pushed back to 2021 instead of 2018.

Dunhill (British American Tobacco = BAT) actually released a statement saying that they will be discontinuing their line of tobacco. It's understood that Dunhill is trying to distant themselves from tobacco which is why they've created White Spot. Dunhill as a designer doesn't want to be associated with the industry. This is how I took the news anyway.

Very sad business really.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I don't think Dunhill blends will go anywhere, They will be here till the end......... Just my .02............
    But stock up just in case.......... [:puffy:]

I agree with you!
    Dunhill (British American Tobacco = BAT) actually released a statement saying that they will be discontinuing their line of tobacco. It's understood that Dunhill is trying to distant themselves from tobacco which is why they've created White Spot. Dunhill as a designer doesn't want to be associated with the industry. This is how I took the news anyway.

Very sad business really.

Alfred Dunhill ltd aka The White Spot sold the tobacco off a decade or longer ago. LoL! BAT is a tobacco giant and not distancing themselves from tobacco or the Dunhill name. Dunhill has been and will continue to be the leading luxury cigarette brand in the world. It's just the low margin, outsourced production cigars and pipe tobacco that was said was going away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently I don't know very much about the Dunhill brand. I like a couple of their blends but certainly won't mourn the loss of them. I completely forgot that they made cigarettes, I've haven't seen those in ages. Still sold in the States?

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks like they are sold from $15-20 a carton when buying in bulk, to $28 dollars a carton when buying single cartons.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to see Harris again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

So what is the deal with the FDA, are they trying to totally shut down pipe tobacco?

Also what is up with the EU and Britian? Where is the rumor about Dunhill shutting down coming from?

Harriss, think of this as a Mongolian cluster fuck. Big Tobacco helps craft this legislation so that it makes the introduction of new blends potentially ruinously expensive by requiring all such blends to go through an FDA mandated Deeming process. This will effectively kill off their competition from vaping. Pipes and pipe tobacco are collateral damage. None of the movers and shakers care about pipes and pipe tobacco. Big Tobacco has the deep pockets to continue while paying for FDA approval. Shitty cigarettes will abound. Boardrooms will resound with jubilation.

Since the legislation was passed many years ago, Congress set up a couple of cut off dates affecting blends on the market. The first of these, February 15th 2007, sets the date for grandfathering in existing tobacco blends. If a blend was available before, on, and after this date, it is grandfathered in. For now...
    The second date was the cut off for newer blends to continue to be sold without FIRST undergoing the ruinously expensive and vaguely defined FDA deeming process. That date was August 8th of 2016. And blends introduced to the market after that date needed to be FDA approved first. Then there was a third date, for compliance, that was August 8th 2018. That date has been pushed back to August 8th 2021. So the guillotine still exists, but it's date for being released has been moved back.

As for the Brits and the EU, they have their own sets of laws. Smoking is bad for you and it costs your countries billions of dollars every year in medical costs and lost productivity. So the countries are going to stamp it out one way or another.

Except for cigarettes, because those are so good for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can someone show me a link for the Dunhill statment? Thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

48. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Big Tobacco helps craft this legislation so that it makes the introduction of new blends potentially ruinously expensive by requiring all such blends to go through an FDA mandated Deeming process. This will effectively kill off their competition from vaping. Pipes and pipe tobacco are collateral damage. None of the movers and shakers care about pipes and pipe tobacco. Big Tobacco has the deep pockets to continue while paying for FDA approval. Shitty cigarettes will abound. Boardrooms will resound with jubilation.

This is standard with regulation. Look who wrote the "net neutrality" rules and the big monopolists supporting them.

Then there's oil and gas. Any regulation there protects a giant company and penalizes smaller companies, except the ones that the giant companies need.

The more humans make rules, the more we make ruin. Rigid statements are just not very flexible when it comes to changing, complex circumstances.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I might just have to start investing in Dunhill tins for that day when they will no longer be available.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

sablebrush52 : “ So what is the deal with the FDA, are they trying to totally shut down pipe tobacco?

Harriss, think of this as a Mongolian cluster fuck. Big Tobacco helps craft this legislation so that it makes the introduction of new blends potentially ruinously expensive by requiring all such blends to go through an FDA mandated Deeming process. This will effectively kill off their competition from vaping. Pipes and pipe tobacco are collateral damage. None of the movers and shakers care about pipes and pipe tobacco. Big Tobacco has the deep pockets to continue while paying for FDA approval. Shitty cigarettes will abound. Boardrooms will resound with jubilation.

Since the legislation was passed many years ago, Congress set up a couple of cut off dates affecting blends on the market. The first of these, February 15th 2007, sets the date for grandfathering in existing tobacco blends. If a blend was available before, on, and after this date, it is grandfathered in. For now...
    The second date was the cut off for newer blends to continue to be sold without FIRST undergoing the ruinously expensive and vaguely defined FDA deeming process. That date was August 8th of 2016. And blends introduced to the market after that date needed to be FDA approved first. Then there was a third date, for compliance, that was August 8th 2018. That date has been pushed back to August 8th 2021. So the guillotine still exists, but it's date for being released has been moved back.

As for the Brits and the EU, they have their own sets of laws. Smoking is bad for you and it costs your countries billions of dollars every year in medical costs and lost productivity. So the countries are going to stamp it out one way or another.

Except for cigarettes, because those are so good for you.“

Thank you for an excellent summary of the situation that gets to the heart of the matter. With your permission, I’ll pass that on to others verbatim.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 1 year ago #
  51. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I don't think Dunhill blends will go anywhere, They will be here till the end

So Leonard Wortzel from STG Lane which is the US importer of Dunhill pipe tobacco says it's going away. As does the president of General Cigar Co. which makes/distributes Dunhill Cigars.

But yet your opinion is that it's not going anywhere. I'm just curious as to why you think that. I hope someone else purchases the rights to those brands.

Also if anyone is looking for P&W tobacco's it's now sold by a small shop in Fall River Mass. Here's the link:
    https://www.wilkepipetobacco.com/

I'm bummed about Yenidje Highlander and 3 Oaks Syrian going away but luckily I've stocked up well in both.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Offer up a couple of billion USD to the owner of the Dunhill name, not the contractor who makes the items. They might entertain such an offer. Most likely they would snicker at the offer before dropping it in to the waste basket.

The Dunhill marque is valuable, extremely valuable. and they are not going to devalue it for a "handful" of pipe tobacco smokers. They want profits and to protect the Dunhill name. Blends just aren't in their plans.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The way Brian explained this whole Dunhill thing on one of the radio podcasts, it sounds like money is not the issue. I forget who controls the name (Piedmont perhaps) but it sounded pretty bleak when I heard it spelled out.
    Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike any chance you could post up a link to that podcast? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to give that a listen

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dunhill trademark, as it applies to tobacco products, is owned by British American Tobacco (BAT) through its subsidiary company Dunhill Tobacco of London.

BAT will continue to sell cigarettes under the Dunhill marque. My WAG on the discontinuation of the pipe tobacco licensing arrangement with STG is that they weren't getting enough of an ROI to keep it going. They undoubtedly have determined that nobody else is going to pay them a higher royalty than STG does now, and that they are better off investing their resources in other, more prifitable endeavors.

I would be surprised if the BAT brand manager for pipe tobaccos actually smokes a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being a fly on the wall as my favorite B&M discussed the realities of becoming a distributor in the US and why Music City... well... we probably won't see anyone picking up distributing the pipes, because they have removed their name from the pipes and are trying to push all of the other products. This might explain why SP hasn't scooped up the White Spots, because they don't want to start having to fill all of the Macy's across the US with Dunhill colognes and belts.

We pretty much got the idea that Dunhill wasn't interested in being involved in pipes as much as the other swag.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Music City didn't distribute the Dunhill luxe goods.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know. They no longer carry White Spots, also. I know, I know. They no longer carry anything anymore.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SPC's Pike Place is gone

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   snagstangl, acidpox, jaytex969, geopiper, ashdigger, odobenus, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, boffosquid, ben88, disinformatique, ray47, morgansteele, weezell