Disaster! Condor Factory Closes in Ireland!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well the Euro-crats have finally done it. Due to new EU legislation the Gallopers factory in Southern Ireland is to close as reported by the Ministry of Truth, otherwise known as the BBC. Below is the story culled from the BBC's website. The legislation was even voted for by Sinn Fein the supposed friend of the working man! When will people understand that the greatest revolutionaries join a system that is designed to make them harmless cogs of the global machine that perpetuates the interests of a select few. Well enough politics I am off to order every scrap of Condor I can get my hands on right this second!
Staff at a cigarette plant in County Antrim have been given time off to absorb the news that all 877 jobs are to be lost.
On Tuesday, staff were told the JTI Gallaher cigarette factory plant in Ballymena is to close permanently by 2017.
Previously known as Gallahers, the firm has manufactured tobacco in Northern Ireland for more than 150 years.
It is the last remaining tobacco factory in the UK.
Northern Ireland's First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister said it was "terrible news".
Full production will resume on Thursday although office staff are still working and the factory is open.
JTI Gallaher said because many workers had been left shocked by the news, there was a safety issue around the operation of equipment.
Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster said the introduction of the EU tobacco products directive had impacted on the plant

It is a major employer and its closure is a significant blow to the economy.
It is estimated that the plant in Ballymena contributed £60m in wages to the local economy.
Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster said the introduction of the EU tobacco products directive had impacted on the plant because of changes to the size of roll your own tobacco packs.
In February, MEPs voted by 514 in favour to 66 against, with 58 abstentions, to approve the new anti-smoking legislation.
It would have required major adjustments in technology and operations at the JTI Gallaghers's plant in the town.
The company has proposed moving its existing plants in Northern Ireland and Belgium to other countries, such as Poland and Romania.
Ms Foster criticised Sinn Féin MEP Martina Anderson for supporting the directive.
"Others were prepared to be champions of this EU directive," she said.
"Martina Anderson felt it was the right thing to do, but wasn't prepared to join the dots and to make the association that if she followed through on that support that it would cost jobs."
However, Ms Anderson said the directive would be applicable across Europe.
"It's going to be applicable in Poland, it's going to be applicable in Romania, and it was going to be applicable in the north," she said.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Ah C'mon :cry:
I could be wrong but I thought the factory made cigarettes, while the pipe tobacco was made in Denmark.
Well I better go scarf up some condor plug, while I can.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I wonder how this is going to affect Orlik and MacBaren? So far the Swedes have given the EU bureau-swine the finger, regarding snus at least, but it's worrisome nonetheless.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
That means I still have til' 2017 to try Condor before it moves somewhere else and tastes different. Nonetheless, hopefully they can decide on a new location and the transition is seamless. I also hope that those 877 people can find work or make plans for the loss somehow.
"Martina Anderson felt it was the right thing to do, but wasn't prepared to join the dots and to make the association that if she followed through on that support that it would cost jobs."
Wasn't prepared to join the dots and make the association that it would cost jobs... Really?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't know chum. You see moving production somewhere else in Europe the company will run into the same issues even if this move is designed to reduce costs by paying the average JQ Lunch Box employee less money long term it always leads to a collapse in quality as the consumer finds out the stuff tastes like swan turds and saw dust. The biggest problem I see is that if you pay your workers so little they are unable to consume the products they produce so those products must be sold to 'overseas' markets that just exist today. The world is locked in a cycle were everyone is playing 'beggar thy neighbor' which is great but not very clever when no one has the money to buy what you are making! Add into this mix the poisonous self righteous lobby of tobacco haters, think prohibitionists for a moment and you have a witches brew of problems. One should not complain because people vote for these idiots along tribal lines, I have always said a dead fish rots from the head downwards. The people of Ireland and Europe voted for these clowns and now they are reaping the fruits of not reading the same print on the package "Politicians Kill - Everything!"

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I would guess this means that Condor will become the new Penzance? Very limited supply, people paying an arm and a leg, selling out within minutes of a supplier getting a shipment?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bad news, but not unexpected. There really is no place to hide from the world-wide spread and interconnectedness of totalitarianism.
It is the last remaining tobacco factory in the UK.

Well, of course that is not true (facts are just such a bother for the BBC), but it will be, soon.
@Darin, Orlick is an STG brand, and is made in Denmark. Mac Baren is also made in Denmark.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Yeah I don't know why I typed Sweden. Had the snus thing on my mind I guess and that was indeed a Swedish deal.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Yes they did merge although Swedish Match is no small operation and represents 49% of STG.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Looks like you know more about this than I do, Darwin! And I apologize for dropping the "w" in your name.....I was dreaming of Jeanie.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Since I'm a persnickety PITA I'll point out that Jeanie's astronaut was Tony and Samantha's husband was Darrin if memory serves, and it doesn't very darn well. Boy is this thread a long way off track.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm sorry to hear about that, but it's a basic business decision, which is to maximize profits exclusive of other considerations. Supply and demand. Go where there is a supply of cheap labor. The company didn't want to spend the money to retool for the manufacture of roll your own cigarette packs under the EU guidelines. If you have a beef, take it up with the company's management, not just the pols.
The thing is, the same regulations will apply in Poland. So it's really about paying the slimmest wages that the company can get. This probably would have happened anyway without the legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.