Tags:  No tags yet. 

Disappearing Threads

(47 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Again today, a thread I was following went *POOF*

Gone forever, no comment why, just gone.

Now, that said, I can sort of figure out (at least most of the time) why this happens.

Still, I think it would be good, for whoever removed it, to man up and say why.

Sometimes we get an answer, but as in what happened today, we don't.

I got a PM asking why and I gave my opinion. I think I'm right about it, but I'm not a mod or the site owner.

Wouldn't it be the right thing to do, when a thread is pulled, to say why?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've noticed this myself, Roth, but chalked it up to taboo subjects (politics, religion, etc). I can't say I agree with these policies of limiting discussion topics to things that are relatively benign rather than allowing thought processes to run free providing a level of civility and courtesy are maintained, but I don't own the site and don't make the rules and so I'll do my best to abide by them. Still, I'm American, and will occasionally and with the best of intentions and all courtesy and consideration due, speak my mind on a given topic even though it may slip across the line a bit into something that could be controversial. I don't do this to provoke argument or bickering, but rather to provoke thought and awareness. If those threads end up being deleted because of something I've written (as I suspect has happened at least once), then all here have my sincere apologies.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, yep and yep...and a big reason is all around you.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep, yep and yep...and a big reason is all around you.

Care to expound on that nugget, Craig?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Create a site of your own and no worries. Let me know I will join.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Care to expound on that nugget, Craig?

Thanks Roth, I already asked for clarification from the gent on another thread, wasn't going to seem a complete moron and ask twice, but surely glad you did

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Create a site of your own and no worries. Let me know I will join.

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just think that a "what me worry" attitude won't help us or the site in general.

Some explanation when a thread is closed, IMO, shows some respect to those puffers who spend time here, care about this site, and the hobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If we as a group are looking to this site to solve problems facing humanity we are screwed. Its about chunks of wood that we stuff with a plant, set on fire and puff. Pretty simple really. Understandable we run out of things to talk about.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What thread was it?

I haven't seen anything on hear that would qualify as disrespectful or inappropriate. Its one thing to lock a thread to prevent further posts, but its another to remove the thread entirely. Again, I haven't seen anything on here that would qualify for either action.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just out of curiosity does the thread your referring to fall into the explanation in this thread?

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As I noted, some times reasons are given for pulling a thread and I appreciate that. Sometimes none is given and I'd just like to see a reason when it happens.

Josh, you did some research to find that and thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like one was a thread of mine, I wasnt talking about circumventing anything, just simply stating I was hit. I believe I even commented that it was still worth it. Not sure why and I agree, even a pm to me explaiming what was wrong with my thread so I didnt do it again would have been appreciated and avoided issues In the future

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

If a thread has been deleted, we send a PM to the person who posted it explaining why. Now we mods are only human and sometimes for getto send the PM. When we close threads, we often make a post saying why we closed it.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree, mods are only human, but I didn't get a pm explaining the reason my thread was deleted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If a thread has been deleted, we send a PM to the person who posted it explaining why. Now we mods are only human and sometimes forget to send the PM. When we close threads, we often make a post saying why we closed it.

I'd appreciate due diligence in posting in the thread saying it is being closed and why, and doing this as a matter of policy.

Thanks Uber, for cleaning this up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but I didn't get a pm explaining the reason my thread was deleted.

I believe the rational is that a PM is sent to the member who created the post/s causing the deleted thread not the thread initiator. I could be wrong, and as stated the mods are only slightly above human, so really maybe Greek demigod level, sometimes they get distracted by a pretty human(or pipe,or maybe a gigantically breasted mermaid on a pipe) and forget to send the PM I have found that usually the MODS do a fairly good job all in all,mermaid pipes not withstanding)

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Understood, but the effective range of an excuse is still zero meters.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I agree, mods are only human, but I didn't get a pm explaining the reason my thread was deleted.

Understood, but the effective range of an excuse is still zero meters.

Well I went to work at 3:30, and didn't delete anything, so I don't know what was deleted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

effective range of an excuse is still zero meters.

Been awhile since I heard (or read) that one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK guys....
    Here you go.

Does This Sound Familiar?

My apologies to brdavidson for my failure to send a PM.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dervis, lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lawrence's referring to the sound familiar thread is important for people to remember. It is not wise to discuss in an open forum how certain vendors do business, it hurts the vendor and his customers. Remember loose lips sink ships. We in the US don't have this issue yet, but our brothers from other countries are dealing with draconian taxes and they will be hurt if certain topics are discussed.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Jesus Christ! Talk about beating a dead horse!

Listen.

This is one of the best run sites on the Internet. It is also the least moderated of ALL the pipe forums.

What you don't see is all of the efforts behind the scenes to keep this place running in good order, and without spam.

If you don't think it's good enough, then we will give you a full refund and you can post elsewhere.

99% of the time a thread is moderated in any way - 1) a single post removed, 2) thread closed, or 3) thread deleted entirely - a notification is sent to the individual that started the thread or had a post removed. We do not have the resources, nor could this site stay in business if we were to notify every single person that posted in a thread.

It would also crap up the site if we had to post a new thread to explain why another thread was moderated.

The 1% of the time that a notice isn't sent is usually because I am the one that moderated something because I saw it first, and I don't have time to send notices.

There is a sticky thread:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/spammers-in-the-forum

Count 6 down to my post. It has links for sending private messages to the moderators. That might be a better way to ask why a thread was deleted rather than to call them out in public. From here forward, calling out a mod for any of their actions will be the same as calling out me, the owner of this site.

I'm not as nice as the mods.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

If I were a Mod you'd have about six hits a day!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

LMAO Cortez.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is also the least moderated of ALL the pipe forums.

Absolutely true, in my experience! I used to participate regularly on another forum, but it was so heavily moderated -- by a single person -- that every post had to be evaluated before it could go "live" (making "conversations" extremely difficult). In addition, the only tobacco-related section of the forum is called "Tobacco Questions." If you didn't have an actual question -- that is, if you wanted to post a review or just a comment about something -- your post would never appear. If it didn't end with a "?" then it wasn't appropriate for that section. It was also not unusual to see the moderator's replies outnumber others' replies in a given thread.

The difference between that forum and this one is night and day. I know it isn't easy to moderate forums -- I oversaw that function when I was president of an international writers association -- and, all things considered, I believe the higher-ups here are doing a remarkable job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cortez, you hit that one on the head.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

From here forward, calling out a mod for any of their actions will be the same as calling out me, the owner of this site.

I think we've found rule #10 !!!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-rules

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BOOM. MODERATING.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

From here forward, calling out a mod for any of their actions will be the same as calling out me, the owner of this site.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-rules

+1 I was just looking for that thread.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have learned a tremendous amount since finding this forum. I think the owner/moderators do a great job. If something I posted crosses a line and gets deleted, I try not to get all butt-hurt over it, figure out what I did wrong and try not to do it again. It also helps to read the rules before you start posting. I would hate to lose this place because it is fun to hang out here, learn new stuff and talk about pipes and tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It also helps to read the rules before you start posting.

It does, doesn't it?

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But if we all read the rules before posting, we might not ever have threads like this one, and I'd never have the opportunity to come across a great phrase like "butt-hurt"!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who reads the rules before doing anything? That would be like asking for directions or reading the instructions before building IKEA shelves.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who reads the rules before doing anything? That would be like asking for directions or reading the instructions before building IKEA shelves.

Real men do not read instructions or ask directions when they are lost!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it would really help if the rules could be posted in picture only format like IKEA instructions.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh come on, no "I'm a taxpaying American", "this is America, and I'll speak my mind", "I have the right to free speech"?
    I'm terribly disappointed.

Kevin, I'm starting to think that your big voice is scaring the boys.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh come on, no "I'm a taxpaying American", "this is America, and I'll speak my mind", "I have the right to free speech"?
    I'm terribly disappointed.

Kevin, I'm starting to think that your big voice is scaring the boys.

Probably nobody more patriotic than me, I almost bleed red, white and blue, and I do believe in freedom of speech more than any other right we have, but that's for public places. This is a privately owned and operated website and the owner has every right to lay down his own set of rules for those he allows to post messages here. Nothing in the Constitution gives us the right to trample on the rights of a private property owner. That said, I don't think any rule-breaking was necessarily intentional.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh gosh, I don't think there's any kind of intentional rule breaking going on, heaven forbid. I simply feel that a quick perusal of the site rules, along with a healthy dose of common sense would save a lot of typing, as well as untold twisted panties.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. chopz

chopz

Login to Send PM

this is America. money talks. end of story.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He who pays the piper calls the tune. If you don't like the rules here, start your own pipe forum and run it how you please.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

calling out a mod for any of their actions will be the same as calling out me, the owner of this site.

So, would Bows and Arrows, at 50 paces, at Sunrise, be out of the Question? lololol I shall have my Benifactor contact your Benifactor.

Oh wait a minute, Kevin is the Owner of this Site, which makes him my Benifactor. Hmm, there goes that plan then.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could never be a Mod, I don't like little scooters no matter how spiffed up they are.

OK, people figure THAT one out.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may be a Mod, but I'm a Rocker too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I knew you were bro.

The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
    Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
    Exactly.
    Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
    Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
    I don't know.
    Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Put it up to eleven.
    Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    [pause] These go to eleven.

http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ithelouniverse, brudnod, lochinvar, masspiper, tarak, pitchfork, peteguy, phxrock, deuce26, neverbend, pylorns, ae1pt, captainsousie, maxpeters, minfarshaw, pruss, ssjones, haja, papipeguy, morton