PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Just found out about them yesterday.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/104581580/new-cherry-dirty-bear-tobacco-pipe?

I like the way they look. Anyone have one or had one, that can give some feedback? I'm not sure about maple or cherry wood as a pipe.

Thanks,

PM

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have a cherry and an applewood pipe. Grain isn't as pretty as briar, you can't smoke them as hot as briar but they do have a nice sweet smoke.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I hadn't seen the link when I commented prior but holy cow there is no way I would spend $60.00USD on a cherrywood pipe. You can get a nice Stanwell for that. Cherrywood pipes should fall into the under $30 dollar range. You will be very upset paying $60.00 for a pipe that will dent, and or burn out much faster than briar. If you want Cherrywood grab a chunk of Cherry and whittle yourself a pipe. You get the best of both worlds. A new pipe and the satisfaction of making your own and the best part is you can get a lot of pipes out of a cherry log! Mistakes smell great in the fire too!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have seen this guys work on the bay before and he had been brought up here before as well. From what I recall, he posted about a dozen pipes are once the bay and I only remember 1 ever receiving a bid, if that tells you anything.
The consensus was he is over charging for what you are getting.
I think if you really like it and are willing to spend that then get it, but as piperl12 has pointed out, you can get known quality brands of briar pipes for the same price.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Nice looking pipe, but agree that $60 is a lot for a cherrywood. Doesn't MM have a cherry wood pipe for $5?? Not as pretty as this one, but similar smoking characteristics.
I was surprised, in reading the description, that this person also makes pipes of basswood. I would think they would burn - as in, catch actual fire.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
sothron
The Cherry wood pipe you are thinking of from MM refers to the finish not the wood it is made from. Cherry is a finish option of their Ozark Hardwood pipes. I am not sure what wood the actual pipe is made from. You can also get the same pipe with a Maple finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.