Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dipping

(23 posts)
  1. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I am not smoking my pipe I like to dip some Copenhagen or Grizzly.
    Are there any others here who enjoy a good dip

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to do that in high school, since it was almost impossible to get caught if you kept in the right place, but now since I've graduated I've given up.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

Dipping and chewing are only form of tobacco that did NOT get me. I experimented in my teens, but never really saw the need to continue... too messy, I suppose.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep. I have for years. Nowadays, I only dip at work, but I've done smokeless in all it's various forms.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. buzkirk

buzkirk

Login to Send PM

Yep, from the time I wake till the time I go to bed, unless Smoking a cigar or pipe or eating, got a dip in mouth.
    Good old Grizzly Long cut Wintergreen

Tom

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

Yes I do.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

I just tried it over the weekend... Not for me. Gives me a nic. buzz that I don't like.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use to enjoy a good red man chew, not any more. Like cigs (tried once while deployed ) makes me sick something fierce.

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was in high school I was never without Kodiak or Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen. Did the Copenhagen thing for a short while since growing up in Texas I had a lot of cowboy friends who practically slept with the stuff in their lip. I also enjoyed Lancaster chew as well as some of the good flavored chews from the Fred Stoker and Sons catalog.

I love a good dip or chew but I gave it up a long time ago. The stuff wrecked my gums something awful and my wife is completely disgusted by it. Everynow and then when I'm in line at the a corner store and see all those cans behind the counter that craving kicks in but I haven't given in and don't plan to.

Mike
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dipped for years when in the Army, and still do occasionally now when out hunting. My choice was the Copenhagen long cut.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't had any long cut in a while, however when I was cutting some medallions of sweet rum twist yesterday, I couldn't help but to cut off a hunk and chew it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was playing lacrosse I loved my Copenhagen!!! After college, when I stopped playing lacrosse, I also stopped dipping. Personally, I like the pipe much more!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Over the years I've did it all dipped Copenhagen,Hawken ect. chewed scrap leaf, plug, bolls,Redman and the such.
    These days just my pipe 2/3 cigars a week, and in smokeless situations this:
    http://www.lilbrown.com/p-9356-oliver-twist-wintergreen-singl.aspx

Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. dryseason91

dryseason91

Login to Send PM

Apparently some EU ruling means that all oral tobacco products are illegal in Ireland. This is a real head-scratcher considering the level of concern here about second-hand smoke. I don't take a laissez-faire attitude to tobacco control but the inherent lack of logic behind so much of it irritates me.

Oh well, just thought I'd chip in! Could never see myself dipping or chewing on a long-term basis but I'd be curious to try it.

Tenants of the house,
    Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.
    - 'Gerontion'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dipper here checking in.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

With all due respect, I find dipping/chewing completely disgusting.

A friend used to keep a plastic Pepsi bottle -- which was glued to his left hand -- as a spittoon -- everywhere he went. Man, was that hilarious (but sad at the same time). Thank God he quit several years back. He (and his wife) still have fun talking about how ridiculous it was.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been dip free now for 2 months. I use smokey mountain herbal dip for easing with the habit of having something in my mouth. pipe tobacco tastes better now.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth: With all due respect, I find dipping/chewing completely disgusting.

I can appreciate that, my friend. However, it's somewhat of a cultural thing. Hard to move hay bales around or milk cows with a lit pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's the difference between dip and chew?

Also, if I smoke cigarettes, they're normally roll-your-owns w/ pipe baccy in there! I know some say that's no good, but if I have a half tin of a virginia blend that I'm not finishing anytime soon, I like to roll a few up and toss them in a cigario tin for my car. So--could pipe baccy work for dip/chew?

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been dipping Skoal Straight for years. I haven't had to spit for years either. But, you can never tell when I'm dipping because I put a dip in and mash it down. When I have to work at a tobacco free plant know one can tell and I dip all day long.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't dip anywhere near as much as I used to, but I still like Copenhagen snuff. Black is pretty good, too. Trick is not to mess with it, then you don't need to spit and carry around a nasty spit cup. I liked snus, but it gave me bad gastritis from overuse.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Undecagon, dip is the fine cut tobacco put inside your lower lip in front of your teeth, chew is a much coarser cut tobacco put in your jaw and worked or chewed. Examples are Kodiak and Copenhagen are dips and Red Man and Levi Garrett are chews.

P.S. Snus is like dip but put on your upper lip, and often used cold.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

I'm a snusser. Which is close enough for the discussion. I use a few cans of dip a year. I used Copenhagen in the 80s and 90s. The only time I spit was right after putting a pinch in and in the field. Quit dip to start smoking, started snus to quit smoking. Moved to pipes to get my burning tobacco fix, the majority of my nicotine intake is snus. A bit of snuff tossed in. Trying e-cigs to cut down on pipes during working hours. My enjoyment of a bowl of tobacco seems to go away after 4 bowls a day. I don't want pipes to ever became just a nicotine delivery method.
    Hi. I'm Mick and I have a nicotine addiction. BUT it goes nicely with my PAD and TAD afflictions. lol

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   olkofri, forciori, dmcmtk, donjgiles, mso489, doug535, lawdawg, loborx, username, jaytex969, milehighpiper, jeff540, the85boro, haparnold, cigrmaster