PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I have two Ser Jacopo Picta 13 pipes that I purchased new in the early 2000's. They were the most expensive pipes I ever purchased new at the time. I have always been disappointed with the smoking quality of both.
I usually do not like bowl coatings, and these two pipes came with it. Even after dozens of bowls, these pipes still had a terrible taste that I attributed to the bowl coatings used.
I was fed up last night and decided to ream the bowls to as close to bare wood as possible to start over. I managed to carefully ream the top part on one to expose bare wood without actually gouging the briar. To my surprise, the inside bowl is stained the same as the outside. These pipes were dip stained! Aha...no wonder these things have taken forever, and still have a slight bad taste. I have had the same problem with some Petersons, but they eventually turned into sweet smokers. I have no clue why the Ser Jocopo's still have an issue even after dozens of bowls.
Now my question: is there anyone who can remove the cake, bowl coating, and STAIN from the bowl of these pipes? I am sure that all the problem comes from the dip staining. The actual engineering is spot on, with perfect draw. It just has this terrible taste!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I should think that any professional pipe repair shop could get your pipes in great shape. I've used Floyd Norwood in Clifton, Tennessee for my pipes and the work from his shop is top notch.

I have 2 Ser Jacapo's and have never had this issue. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.