PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I tried to quit dip earlier this year. It worked, for a whole two weeks, and then I fell off the wagon. My single tin stashed in a cabinet at work quickly ballooned back to a tin a day habit. C'est la vie.
What does this have to do with pipe smoking, you ask? When I have a pipe I prefer a good, proper English. But I'd spend the whole day marinating my tongue with overly sweetened wintergreen juices. Tends to drown out the nuances of a blend.
Now I've gone back to my first love in the realm of tobacco: Copenhagen Long Cut. For those of you who've never fallen for her siren song (lucky bastards) it's unflavored. Nothing but the taste of what I believe is burley with a helping of salt. And it plays fantastically well with non-aromatic pipe tobaccos.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Quitting Copenhagen was the greatest thing I ever did in my life. At one point, I had a tin a day habit on patrol. No good. It messed up my lips & gums. But it was part of the culture.
When I drive, or when I'm outside working, I crave a dip, but I put in seeds. Yes, it helps. But the salt is pretty bad for your gums too, so I have salt free sometimes.
I think dipping is really bad for you man. And yes, it interferes with tasting your pipe. But I understand if you keep at it, because I did for about 20 years off and on.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I began dipping as a teenager playing baseball. I then picked up cigarettes at about 17 and enjoyed both for quite some time. When I got it off the Army in 2004 I slowly weened myself off of the Copenhagen (switched to Cope in Iraq due to it's availability). Fast forward to

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I began dipping as a teenager playing baseball. I then picked up cigarettes at about 17 and enjoyed both for quite some time. When I got out of the Army in 2004 I slowly weened myself off of the Copenhagen (switched to Cope in Iraq due to it's availability). Fast forward to 2011, my now wife hated cigarette smoking so I switched to pipe smoking. Alas I wasn't getting enough of the vitamin N and pipe smoking doesn't sit well with her in the car. So I started dipping again, but in moderation. I currently use about one tin a week. I decreased the size of my chew exponentially, it's about a quarter of what I used to chew. I still enjoy both pipe smoking and dipping. What can I say, I love tobacco! :puffy:

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I began dipping as a teenager playing baseball. I then picked up cigarettes at about 17 and enjoyed both for quite some time. When I got out of the Army in 2004 I slowly weened myself off of the Copenhagen (switched to Cope in Iraq due to it's availability). Fast forward to 2011, my now wife hated cigarette smoking so I switched to pipe smoking. Alas I wasn't getting enough of the vitamin N and pipe smoking doesn't sit well with her in the car. So I started dipping again, but in moderation. I currently use about one tin a week. I decreased the size of my chew exponentially, it's about a quarter of what I used to chew. I still enjoy both pipe smoking and dipping. What can I say, I love tobacco! :puffy:

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
@red star. I used general snus for a while when I was in high school, the the feds dropped the hammer on shipping it. Now it's easier to find but prohibitively expensive here. The Skoal and Camel varieties just don't cut it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love Levi Garrett if I cannot smoke my pipe such as on a flight or a long rail road journey. I don't know if Levi Garrett counts as 'dip' but it sure tastes better than Red Man and that awful stuff called Jacksons Apple Jack which I first came across in 1979 at a tobacco kiosk in London when the streets were filled with rubbish before Thatcher came to power in May of that year. I have been told the Swedish stuff is not cancer causing whereas our home grown stuff is guaranteed to give you something long term. I think its a matter of proportion. If you chomp through a bag of Levi a day you are asking for trouble. I find a bag lasts me about a month. Does anyone else here like Levi?

Mar 31, 2014
I've tried Snus, recently. I need that minty flavor to stand it. Gotta say, I have never had nicotine hit me so quick and hard. I have to take it out after 15 minutes so I don't get queezy. I couldn't stand anything stronger than Snus, which I hear it pretty weak.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I dip copenhagen straight. I usually dip when my tongue needs a rest or it's not convenient to smoke, which lately is pretty often

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Ha ! Condorlover, I found a blast from your past, only $5.99 + shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-APPLE-JACK-Chewing-Tobacco-Pouch-SEALED-/400748686744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4e7bad98

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I go through about a can a week, down from about a can a day. Copenhagen Wintergreen is my favorite dip ever. I really should stop...

Status
Not open for further replies.