PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have plenty of 9438's but not a Digby model, so when this one popped up I grabbed it. It was priced too low to pass it up. I thought at worst case, I'd flip it.
The pipe arrived today and it has a few interesting features. There are a few dings but the nomenclature is decent, including the D stamp on the stem (those rarely survive). I'll probably repair the dings and divots and restain it. The stem was very curious. It is nicely funneled at the tenon and perhaps nicer than some of my GBD stems (Digby was a GBD 2nd line). The wood is nondescript, so it's puzzling as to why someone would take the time to detail the tenon. A slow day on the Digby line perhaps?
Stay tuned for an update when I repair the marks/dings.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Al
I would like a pic of the funneled tenon. Maybe a previous owner did some customization? I need to look at my GBD, Digbys and GBD seconds, but I don't recall any with tenon funneling.
hp

les

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Al, I just looked at the Digby I have and it too is funneled. It's likely that was done before the stummel was assigned to Digby. They were probably all turned and then graded based on the quality. My Dr Plumb's are the same, except that they have flaws you would never find in a GBD.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Hard to believe the D on the stem survived the years. Nice little project. Coincidentally, I enjoyed smoking my first 9438 (GBD Virgin) last night and it practically smoked itself. Plus, it hung really well from my yapper. Great shape.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a very nice looking pipe, elegantly simple. Looking forward to the resto pics Al. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Using Dave G's bead repair technique, I was able to get the bead line repaired on this pipe. I also filled some of dings/fill holes. Thanks to Dave for documenting his bead line repair process.
http://rebornpipes.com/2015/10/25/digby-9438-bead-repairrefinish/
The bead work:
digby_9438_resto-8.jpg

digby_9438_resto-9.jpg

digby_9438_resto-11.jpg

And the finished pipe:
digby_9438_resto-1.jpg

digby_9438_resto-2.jpg

digby_9438_resto-3.jpg

digby_9438_resto-5.jpg

digby_9438_resto-6.jpg

Status