banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Difficulty with SPC Plum Pudding?

(15 posts)
  1. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

I’m on my second bowl of SPC Plum Pudding, I can not seem to keep it lit. First bowl was fresh from tin with 20 min dry time. 2nd bowl was 1 hour and a half dry time. Rubbed out rough with chunks, packed gravity fairly loose. Any ideas on how to get the most from this blend? Longer drying? Wait a few months with it in a jar?

I like the taste, and I know it’s highly recommended, but it seems really hard to light, keep lit, and enjoy. Lastly I don’t have relight-a-phobia, but this is a real challenge.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

No idea

For me its always been one of my favorite blends and smoked fine right out of the tin, rubbed out and 3 pinch. I do prefer an hour or so of dry time with it, but never had any issues either way.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Maybe try rubbing it out a bit more finely. There is always a balance with these crumble cakes. I try to load thicker chunks at the bottom, and then fill with more finely rubbed out portions.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How are you drying it? If you're setting it out and the humidity is reasonably high, it may not dry if you leave it out 12 hours. IF it won't stay lit, seems like you're either not packing it right or the tobacco is too wet. Try putting the tobacco in a bounty towel and wrapping it up for an hour before smoking. I suppose the other possibility is if you're smoking outside, the humidity could be so high the tobacco is quickly absorbing moisture.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Hoosier is on to something. It’s probably just the summer humidity. I’ve smoked many bowls of this blend with almost no drying and it generally smokes well with no relights. It’s kinda easy going and low maintenance for me. Try a different pipe or two and if it’s not working try again in the fall.

Neal
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Thanks all. I live in AZ, we don’t have any, even when it’s raining

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well that changes the equation for sure. Having lived in Arizona, I definitely understand where you are coming from. So in that case, with literally no ambient humidity, try some different pipes and if not working for you then maybe move on to another blend. But I will say that moisture and relights have not been an issue for me with this blend, so I'm stumped otherwise.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it isn't humidity, as Neil said, change pipes. The only other thing I can think of could be packing too tight with that blend. Try rubbing it out less and making sure to pack it loose enough. If that doesn't work, pack up your tins and mail them to me. LOL

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I’ll try a few different shapes and see how it goes. Sorry Hoosier, just one tin. I’m still trying lots of stuff. Only a few things I have two or three of at this point. Just lots of half filled 8oz jars.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find that this latest rendition of PP is harder to keep lit as it crumbles to dust or it’s either left too chunky, it’s hard to rub it out to get a good proper smoke from it. In its early days it was pressed differently and they used a different supplier, the blend used to be very oily in texture, it never felt like it was dry and it held together more like a ribbon cut than crumbs and it smoked great. I much preferred PP in its early years. Sometimes I’ll be smoking it outdoors while walking my dog and I’ll notice that a good portion of it has fallen out of the pipe, embers and all.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. I have an unopened tin of Plum Pudding. With my slow pace, I have unopened tins of a number of blends. I'll keep this in mind when I open mine. I always find that some drying improves the smoke, so I will pack a pipe the night before, or leave a few bowls worth in a ceramic bowl for a day or three. But I will likely smoke it fresh, to see how it goes, and let it stand (and smoke something else in a different pipe) if I have the problem. Thanks for the heads up. This is worth knowing. I have a medium and tall tin of Potlatch, but that's a different item.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I live in AZ and just smoked a bowl of PP Reserve yesterday. No issues except it was extremely windy yesterday. Like Neal and Hoosier suggest try a different pipe. If you are still having problems I would say its a packing issue.

Not sure if you are aware but the AZ Pipe Club is meeting tomorrow at Big Sticks in Mesa at 1:00. Lots of good folks will be there.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My experience with Plum Pudding was not a good one. Stayed lit though.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

Pack the first third of your pipe without rubbing it out. Pack the second third rubbed out middlin'. Pack the last third rubbed out as finely as you can muster and perhaps let this last third dry out a little more. Like starting a campfire, you put fire to kindling, and then let the kindling build your fire.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Good suggestions, again thank you all. Spartacus, I’m her Desert Ridge, Mesa is a bit of a drive. I have a cigar smoking friend in Mesa, maybe I’ll get him to meet me there sometime.

Thanks for the invite an info.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alsatmem, ashdigger, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra, canadianpuffer