Difficulty purchasing the luxurious weed.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Some outfits won't sell to me because of my state. What the hell??? Real frustrating checking reviews making your list and filling it out only to be told they don't ship to your state. Some one has a story to tell too?

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Not only in states, but you sometimes cannot use certain credit cards... scary!
Im glad i Haven't had any trouble yet.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
In Maryland we had a tobacco shipping ban for any out of state purchases and Just For Him was the only store that wouldn't ship to me, was rather frusterating. Glad that nonsense is over with.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Just for Him still won't ship to Iowa. I also noted some sites no longer accept MasterCard for payment due to the credit card company's position on tobacco sales. I wonder whats in it for MasterCard? Its not like they would be sued for the purchase, and I can't believe a credit card company would do anything without some money involved.
:puffpipe:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Aside from the CC issue, some states require the merchant to provide them with customer information, so they do not ship to those states in order to not report who is purchasing their tobacco. Pretty soon, that will be the norm, I am afraid. The states want their tax dollars.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a couple of questions about this nonsense. If the US Postal Service is the deliverer can a state dictate what is delivered? I doubt it. If UPS or FedEx is used are there any issues? Or is the issue with the retailer?I've heard about the MasterCard issue several times before but nothing conclusive. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask about their tobacco purchase policy, if there is one. I usually use AmEx for online purchases because of their product coverage but I have used MC on at least 2 occasions without any problems. It'll be an intersting conversation.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
Knock on wood, I have no such difficulty here in FL which has not been a good thing budget wise with many retailers offering free shipping. I rationalize that I am actually saving money by buying more since there is no shipping charge. Sorry to hear of your troubles, I'm sure we will collectively find a solution for you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If the US Postal Service is the deliverer can a state dictate what is delivered?
Absolutely! Many states, for instance, have regulations regarding the shipping of wine. It was only recently that we in Michigan were allowed to have wine shipped in from other states. The rationale was that they were protecting the local industry. Then they realized that if they encouraged overall wine buying it would likely have a spill-over effect on the local businesses. (Thankfully. Because Michigan wine is awful.)
Bob

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I purchased a pound of Shortcut to Mushrooms a week ago from Just For Him. I used my Visa and had no problems.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
While i feel for you guys dont forget how lucky you are ... here in NZ and i think the same goes for Australia as well but not sure, there is almost no pipe tobacco available, it costs a fortune, we have to pay currency conversions as well as running a risk of being taxed @ 36 cents/gram on top of international shipping and we also encounter the credit card and shipping polacies you guys do ... even if worst comes to worst you still have a few alternative options you can use or other tobaccoes you can smoke, we simple have to take it or leave it. I am disgusted by how they try to impose laws and taxes ( which fund way more than any smoking related health departments ) on adults who are perfectly capable of making informed choices about their lives

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Rothnh i liked your post above it got me thinking ...

I wonder what will happen to interent orders specially for overseas customers if tax has to be collected by the vendor for net sales? ... and then the purchaser has to pay tax when he imports it as well ... effectivly it will drive the price of tobacco up even further making it harder for more and more people to enjoy a pipe .

HAHA i would like to see some reverse discrimination tbh ... a bar or shop or club or something that admits only smokers and you would have to light up your pipe to gain access ... "annoying whining non smokers not admited" would make a fantastic slogan.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Such a pity and a waste of good tobacco and really the ones that actually got smoked are just lucky really ... you should not have top worry about anything you bought going up in smoke ( unless your smoking it of course lol)and i think the whole anti smoking thing, specially round cigar and pipe tobacco, is just going way overboard, the sheer amount of money generated by tobacco tax floats way more than just healthcare , goverments almost cant do without it, yet other more pressing medical concerns are not mentioned at all.
I for one can only see things getting harder and harder specially for me here in NZ and i am in love with the pipe and would like to continue it for many many years to come and if i am struggling now to get tobacco i cant see it getting any better so trying my best to stockup 10oz per order ( our customs does not seem to tax anything 10oz and under)any anyone i meet and wants to try i encourage and let them try anything i have , hoping that one day when i run out there will still be tobacco floating round

Status
Not open for further replies.