PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Okay everyone, I have a dilemma. I bought a pipe made by a local pipe maker in my area. I think it is beautiful with a nice straight stem and a decent sized bowl. It is now a collectible. Anyways, I have only smoked a blend called English luxus out of it, and enjoy it very much. Problem is, I'm not in the mood for all of that Latakia all the time. Do you think it would hurt to smoke some 1Q out of it, or Macbaren Scottish blend? Or do you think Latakia puts such a strong flavor into the pipe that it would be overpowered no matter what? Sort of afraid to try a different tobacco in it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The purists will argue, but if I were you, and I'm not, I'd fill with what I like and smoke it. I'm not as discerning as many of the others when it comes to subtle flavors so I'd just fill and light and enjoy.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I would suggest that you buy more pipes and dedicate favorite blends to favorite pipes. You will never regret that! I have five blends and dedicate specific blends to specific pipes. I own 50 pipes. In the case of aromatic blends (that includes 1Q which is an aromatic) you will be more satisfied in the long run by dedicating 1Q to a specific pipe or pipes. For example, since my Captain Bob's Blend does contain Latakia, I can smoke it in my Latakia pipes without a problem. However, CBB is very much an aromatic and will ghost a pipe. On the other hand, I would not smoke my CBB in a pipe reserved for Virginia blends not containing Latakia or an aromatic. The choice is yours. For me, dedicating specific "or similar blends" to specific pipes is a reward that gets better over time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
My case I do always saperate 3 kinds tobacco pipes.

Latakia, Aromatic, VA/PER.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I smoke pretty much any blend in any pipe and don't worry too much. I mostly smoke latakia blends, but occasionally an aromatic. Yes, I'm sure that there is some latakia carry over, and vice versa, but such doesn't bother me. It's up to you if you want to have dedicated pipes. Some have dedicated pipes and would never consider putting 1Q in a latakia pipe: they probably think I'm a Phlistine. Oh well.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the responses. I have two corncobs that I smoke almost all the time. I just feel like breaking the wooden one out and I don't have much luxus left. But gosh do I love that smokey taste. The girl hates it. So I keep it to 1Q around her.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Back when I only had 1-2 pipes I smoked whatever out of them. Sometimes it was 1Q and other times it was an English blend. I never had any issues. However, now that I have a decent assortment of pipes I do dedicate pipes to either aromatic, English or Virginia blends. That's just my preference though.

LOL, sallow!!! I remember when I only had one pipe, switching between genres really never gave me a clear idea of whether I liked a blend or not, so I never tasted the unadulterated blend by itself. I was always tasting everything that had gone before also. It wasn't really until I had a full rotation that I was able to figure out exactly what I wanted.
The other day I grabbed an older pipe that I had smoked aros with before I discovered the world of Virginias. I was looking for something to smoke a lat blend out of (another genre that I don't usually smoke). The pipe was heavily ghosted with cherries and honeys. The ghost and the heavy latakia really made for a nice smoke. But, I think that lats burned with an aromatic ghost is much more desirable than an aromatic with a heavy latakia ghost. So now, I'm not sure to do with the pipe. I may just ream it and make it an occasional latakia or a strong VaBur burner.
I tend to dedicate my pipes to genres instead of specific blends. Sometimes the mix between different blends in the same genre makes for nice surprises sometimes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My pipes are more or less grouped by genre, like cosmic; but the blend groups are broad:
  • 1) Fired cured: dark fired Kentucky, Cajun Black, (rarely) Latakia, G&H twists, etc

2) (semi) aromatic: just about anything flavored or topped

3) everything else: Va, VaPers, VaBurs, Burley, non-Latakia Orientals.

4) (If I ever develop a taste for Lakeland scented (soapy, floral), they'll get their own pipe(s).
Some experimenting is in order, for as Wilson observed, you may find a nice taste develop with some crossovers.

For example, I will smoke a deertongue-flavored tobacco in my Va-based pipes because I think the faint ghost of deertongue

is delightful as it fades away.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
2 ways to go about it
1) Buy more pipes to dedicate certain blends to certain pipes.
2) Just smoke it.
I'm more a 'just smoke it' guy.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
I save a few pipes exclusively for Virginias and two exclusively for the rare aromatic smoke. In all the others I smoke whatever I feel like having in the moment and don't notice any degradation in the flavor of the Virginias.
denholrl

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
If you have only smoked a tin or two in the pipe in question, then there should not be much of a lat-cake in it. You could try smoking another blend and if, after half a tin of the new backy, you are still disatisfied with the flavour, I suggest you carefully remove the cake with some emery paper and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.