PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
One reads often, than it would be smart to reserve a pipe for each blend smoked...I find myself having pipes that I smoke English type tobaccos in and others reserved for Aromatics. I only have one pipe that I only smoke one particular blend in. Wondering how you guys go about it?

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I guess I'm not nearly so organized.....I just smoke what I'm in the mood for in whatever pipe I'm in the mood for at the moment....but it seems to work out fine. ( I do clean every pipe after every smoke and allow at least one week of rest between smokes.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't pay too much attention to that -- merely tending to use certain pipes based on chamber diameter: narrow for Va flakes, wide for Burley's; and cobs when I audition a new blend. I have one pipe for Lakeland scented tobaccos.
I do think, however, that the smoker who is organized and disciplined enough to dedicate pipes to blends or genres would benefit greatly from the practice.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I suppose it depends on the subtlety of the blends in question. Some of the fellows around here are managing to describe the moment-to-moment changes in flavor as they smoke a bowl of Dorchester (ohin3, I'm looking in YOUR direction!). I can imagine that trying to do that in a pipe that's had Cherry Bomb in it previously would be impossible.
Myself, I have less subtle tobacco choices, with aromatics and latakia blends. Say 3-4 bowls of aro's (1Q, Eileen's Dream, MV-1000, Blue Note) per bowl of latakia. They all taste good, but radically different. As a result, I have dedicated a pipe to the latakia, and then I throw my aro's in whatever other pipe I feel like.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I guess I'm not nearly so organized.....I just smoke what I'm in the mood for in whatever pipe I'm in the mood for at the moment....but it seems to work out fine.
I'm with Hilo.
While I do run a pipe cleaner through the pipe after every smoke, I don't just smoke it once and put it in the rack. I will swap up between a couple of pipes all through the day. Sometimes smoke the same pipe all day, maybe two before I rest it.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I've only a few pipes that are 'catch all' for those moments of utter indifference. Otherwise I am pretty strict about English/Balkan/Latakia in certain pipes and Virginians in another. Certain pipes will only see really heavy English while others will only see heavy Perique. This is sounding more complicated than I thought, but it's really not!
If I've been smoking a bowl of '1792' every single evening for the last month from a particular pipe I'm going to remember not to fill it with 'Golden Sliced'.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Great article Bob,

Thanks that certainly gives me the information I was searching for.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm kind of with Tedswearingen. I have certain pipes for straight Virginia, certain pipes for Va/perique, certain pipes for heavy latakia blends, certain pipes for light latakia blends and certain pipes for aromatics. I don't smoke nearly as much latakia as I used to so most of my pipes are for straight Va. and Va./per. Now that I am getting into aromatics I am starting to dedicate pipes to that genre as well. I can tell that I will be dedicating pipes to one blend exclusively. I do blur these lines from time to time as well though. Sometimes a good dark Va flake tastes good from a latakia pipe. So my answer, in short, is who the hell knows ha ha ha.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I keep mine seperated also. Some for English only and others for the rest. I find that my Castellos, Jacopos, Mastros, etc smoke english extremely well and I use my Savinellis, meerschaums and a few others for my Raleigh and occationally other blends. It's really the best way to go...

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I choose my pipe of the day by something akin to random selection. Whichever pipe looks good to me and feels right is the winner. Tobacco blends are chosen in pretty much the same way. Eventually, every pipe gets partnered with every blend. Very democratic but for the fact that I get the only vote.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Different schmokes / strokes for different folks.
I have different dedicated pipes for:
Latakia - Dark browns, burgandy and black mostly rusticated pipes and rusticated Oom Paul Meer.
Virginias - Small dot of red nail posish on the underside of the stem
Aeromatics - Stright billiards
Lakeland flakes - G & H Ennerdale, Chocolate and Rum Flake - A few Petersons
Burleys - Cobs with acrylic stems
Like I said......Different strokes for different folks. 8)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I separate my pipes for different blends.................except when I don't.Though most often I try to not use my Virginia and VaPer pipes for any other tobaccos.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The topic of dedicating Pipes to blends or types of blends has ample

information to read. The most recent thought I've seen on this issue

takes a bit of a different tact...

http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/neills-blog/2010/10/27/the-mystery-of-the-transforming-tobacco.html
http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/neills-blog/2010/10/28/finding-that-magic-fit-between-pipe-and-tobacco.html
http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/neills-blog/2010/10/31/how-and-why-chamber-geometry-impacts-tobacco-flavor.html

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Fred, those links were a great help--in addition to Bob's wonderful article and everyone's 2 bits. I am continually humbled and astounded at the wealth of information we're able to share with each other here.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I have 250+ pipes and none of them are dedicated to a single genre. Most smokers talk about ghosting as though it's always a bad thing, which I don't find to be true. In many cases, the "ghost" of previous blends can enhance what I'm currently smoking. I don't smoke too many aromatics, which are the worst culprits for unpleasant ghosting, so I rarely have a problem.
I do the reverse, actually. There are some blends (primarily flakes and ropes) that I Usually smoke only on certain pipes, but those pipes are also used for other blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.