Tags:   

Different Packing for Different Tobaccos

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by flippinbird87
  • Latest reply from loneredtree
  1. flippinbird87

flippinbird87

Login to Send PM

I was reading the Tobacco Packing Methods article and videos, and a question popped in my head. Does the type of packing matter to the type of tobacco you are smoking? For instance, would you use the airpocket method for a Va/Per? And would you use another method for burleys? I thought this could be a good thread for beginners (or returning pipers).

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm...I usually wont comment on these threads because I've never gotten into the whole 3 step air pocket and whatever else there is. Not saying any of its wrong mind you. But I've always just put some in, then a little more and continued til the bowl was just shy of full, tamping more at the top.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

I usually put three pinches of tobacco in my bowl. It depends a lot on how the tobacco is cut. Wider ribbon tobaccos I pack less tight. Narrow ribbon tobaccos I pack tighter. Packing depends on the tobacco and the pipes bowl size.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm sure that for many, it depends on the tobacco, the pipe, the puffer, etc., but for me the packing is all prety much the same. Like the others who posted in your thread here, I simply put pinches in the bowl, tampering lightly after each pinch, until the pipe is full and the tobacco is a bit "springy" at the top. The draw should feel like sipping soda through a straw; if the draw feels like you're sipping a milkshake, the pipe is packed too tightly, so it's best to start over.

Oh, and many tobacco blends are too "wet" to smoke right away and these need to be dried and depending on the blend, this drying time can take from 10-15 minutes to as long as several hours. The "pinch test" determines if and when the tobacco is ready -- just take out a bowlful on a plate or sheet of paper, take a pinch between thumb and forefinger, lift it a few inches and drop it back on the plate/paper -- if it clumps together, it's too wet -- if it falls in pieces/ribbons, it's ready to pack.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. loneredtree

loneredtree

Login to Send PM

I have found that the packing method is different for a straight sided chamber versus a tapered to the bottom chamber. It takes some experimentation. Part of the fun I guess.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   4nogginsmike, misterlowercase, edwinbaz, rsuninv, philobeddoe, sparrowhawk, toadshade, cobguy, barleynbaccy, anthonyrosenthal74, soymilkisgood, torque, pruss, beefeater33, andy, cosmicfolklore, daimyo, tfdickson, clarkj734