PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
I was reading the Tobacco Packing Methods article and videos, and a question popped in my head. Does the type of packing matter to the type of tobacco you are smoking? For instance, would you use the airpocket method for a Va/Per? And would you use another method for burleys? I thought this could be a good thread for beginners (or returning pipers).

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Hmmm...I usually wont comment on these threads because I've never gotten into the whole 3 step air pocket and whatever else there is. Not saying any of its wrong mind you. But I've always just put some in, then a little more and continued til the bowl was just shy of full, tamping more at the top.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I usually put three pinches of tobacco in my bowl. It depends a lot on how the tobacco is cut. Wider ribbon tobaccos I pack less tight. Narrow ribbon tobaccos I pack tighter. Packing depends on the tobacco and the pipes bowl size.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have found that the packing method is different for a straight sided chamber versus a tapered to the bottom chamber. It takes some experimentation. Part of the fun I guess. :wink: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.