PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I ordered a University pipe from Pipes and Cigars a few months ago. They claimed it has a vulcanite stem. However I have never seen or had one like this. Im pretty sure it's plastic. This is nothing like the other vulcanite stems I own, in looks, taste, oxidationally (is that a word?)or feel. I have never made an indent in my vulcanite stems, and this one i've almost bitten through already. I also know this is definitely not acrylic.

So are there different grades of vulcanite stems? I'm sure pictures won't help but I'll add some anyways.
20170418_155908.jpg

20170418_155859.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oxidationality? Never heard of it, but it sounds good.
Yours does look a lot like plastic. However, I have vulcanite stems that run the gamut of hardness and resistance to oxidation, so it may just be a softer vulcanite. Did you do the friction test to see if it smells like sulfur?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Take the stem out and rub the tenon on your jeans very briskly for a couple seconds. Then take a whiff of it. If it smells sulfury, it's vulcanite.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Low quality vulcanite isn't really softer, it just tends to be impure (has lots of inclusions, and occasionally voids).
Going from the pics I'm not sure what you have there, OP. It LOOKS like vulcanite except for the smushed part.

It could also be that becoming a moderator has given you a little stress, ha ha. Grinding your teeth while sending out warnings and holding back what you "really" want to say. Closing threads while guys are throwing beer bottles at you and making fun of your pajamas. I know, I know. Next it's the hard stuff... Cotton Bole Twist, Dark Flake, Picayune, then next thing you know, you'll be urinating in the kitchen sink and talking to ice cubes. Yeh, BTDT. Eventually it gets easier. We have a moderator psychologist, well... a counselor. Or, well... it's a 900 number you have to call. Just a couple of credit cards, and soon you won't be biting through vulcanite any more.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Didimauw, you may want to read rule number 9 again. As a mod, you should follow the rules and capitalize the first letter of words in the title thread. :nana:
I've been wanting to ask about the softness of vulcanite and thought I may be able to sneak it in here? Cumberland and other pigmented vulcanite stems feel softer to me. Is there anything to this? A stem feels extra rubbery to me when it's got color. Does adding pigment soften vulcanite?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh crap did I really do that ??? Wow... :oops: AND you totally called me out...thanks :nana: (Thank you, whoever fixed it for me lol) But I'm not going to delete your post, cause I'm an honest guy who makes mistakes. :lol:
Figured I should now read the rest of your post. And yes, I have always wondered about Cumberland stems, they look awesome to me. But can't answer your question, cause I've never owned one. So, there you go.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Didi, It should read "Different Grades Of vulcanite?"
How many mods does it take to get Rule 9 right? :clap: It should read, 'Different Grades Of Vulcanite'. I don't think Kevin would say that the preposition really needs to be capitalized. It's like getting to tell your teacher in school that they were wrong. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know how well I can interpret from the photos, but that stem sure looks more like plastic than Vulcanite. I don't think Vulcanite would chew through this quickly. Also, this stem has a shine to it that I don't associate with Vulcanite. I'm just going from the photo here, but I'm seeing plastic, and not lucite or acrylic which I think are higher grade, harder plastic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another thought. Usually Vulcanite gets gnawed through very slowly, and it is a process of the smoker actually gnawing through the material, like a little chewed hole. Plastic tends to weaken first and kind of fold inward, as this stem appears to be doing. Another clue it's plastic and not Vulcanite. I could be wrong just judging from the photo, but I'm telling you what I'm seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.