Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Do you differentiate between morning, daytime, evening, indoors, outdoors, party etc. blends? And why?

I'll start. I like something sweet and not too heavy in the morning. Too much nicotine early in the day makes me uncomfortable, so ATM BBF or Marlin Flake are morning smokes for me. Later in the day I want something more filling, like FVF or Hal o' the Wynd. Red Rap if I'm into latakia. In the evening I like something bolder, like Irish Flake, PPP, 1792, Nightcap etc. It is not like I have made a system or anything like that. But this is how I like it these days.

How about you? And please say something about why.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tend to go for bold blends with some nicotine heft in the AM. The only other pattern I've noticed is that I seek out Burley-forward blends after meals.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I only smoke 1-2 bowls per day, sometimes none. No rhyme or reason to my selection, just whatever I am in the mood for.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not really qualified to chime in here because I very rarely smoke before later in the afternoon, but if I smoke more than one bowl in a given day (again, a rare occurrence) it will usually be a burley as the first and then maybe a taste of something like Mac Baren vanilla creme in a small pipe like my Peterson 317 later in the evening. I find that one bowl keeps me satisfied quite well for at least a full day.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
For me usually lighter to heavier thru-out the day. Straight Virginia in the morning, then midday VaPer or VaBur...in the evening a Lat blend of some sort........Although I might skip the Lat blend sometimes and do another VaBur...usually 3 bowls a day... :puffy:

I start with an aromatic and a cup of coffee. I had to do this to keep my girls from going to school smelling like they were up all night at a poker game. That, and I don't like to smoke too strong of a blend first thing, or else I'd have to go back to bed.
Then it is off to straight Virginias through the day, and a VaPer around diner time.
And, then something strong enough to send me to sleep before bed, maybe a rope, Picayune, or Dark Flake.

All in all, I average about 12 to 14 bowls a day.

spugni

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2017
Long Island, NY
I usually start off fairly light and work my self up to heavier blends. If not, my palatte can't pick up all of the nuances in lighter blends.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Definitely. Something that's a bit cloying like Sandalwood hints might taste good first thing in the morning kind of waking up my taste buds. As the day goes on I'll enjoy whatever I'm liking a lot lately. Sometimes I'll save something not a favorite and find it's a good morning smoke.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
If I have anything that approaches a pattern, it would be Va. days and Va/per. nights.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
For several years it would be English for breakfast, Burley for lunch and finish the day with a light aromatic. Recently though my life has no routine and this factor has also expressed itself in my smoking patterns. No I may smoke from 0 to 7 bowls per day and I lght up what ever I feel like out of the 3 to 4 tins I'm smoking through at the time. Currently I have C&D BIjou, C&D Bayou Morning Flake and SG Grousemoor open. I like to finish tins or pouches off and move on, otherwise I wouldn't know what to smoke next. I also plan my next selection in the meantime. I still haven't decided what to purchase/open next but this forum influences my decisions greatly.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Usually a straight VA first thing in the morning. I amp up the strength as the day goes on. Usually some type(s) of English Oriental or VaBur in the evening. Every now and then though, I'll smoke something like Mississippi River Reserve first thing in the morning. Or McConnell's Scottish Cake in order to enjoy them on a fresh palate.
I've also learned if I purchase some cheddar cheese from the grocery deli and eat a strip between bowls, it really helps cleanse the palate.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've also learned if I purchase some cheddar cheese from the grocery deli and eat a strip between bowls, it really helps cleanse the palate.
Ha! More circumstantial evidence supporting my theory that JimInks derives his superpowers from grilled cheese sandwich consumption.
jay-roger.jpg

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I can see apples, pears etc., but can't see cheese being usefull. Unless you have cheese followed by apples, pears etc....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not an a.m. smoker mostly, and a moderate smoker, so it ends up being whatever I feel like smoking. I usually try an advertised full-strength blend at night, just in case it turns out to be heavy-handed, but once I have the measure of a blend or single-leaf, I can usually handle it any time. Just smoke slower. If I want the taste but not the heavy nic, I can always go to one of my two filtered pipes. Filtered pipes also work for when you are smoking more than usual -- pipe show, pipe club, or on a project. If I were smoking early in the day, I'd probably reach for something mild.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I start my day with a milder Virginia flake such as Rotary Navy Cut, Dunhill Flake, Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Capstan Blue Flake. Then I go up in the strength ladder to something like Wessex Brown Virginia, Astleys no 44, Brigade Campaign and others. Next I will usually throw in a vaper as my third bowl, blends like Curly Block, Salty Dogs, Solani 633, Deluxe Navy Rolls to name a few. Then I might go for one of my vaburs like Stonehaven or Old Dark Fired or Irish Flake. Last bowl depends on mood and how tired my taste buds are, it could be from any of my three categories. I do on occasion smoke a couple of aromatics and I have no rhyme or reason on when I choose one of those.
Some days I might throw my daily vaper in as a second bowl of the day, sometimes a vabur as 3rd. I don't have any set rules except for the milder Va flake to start the day. I find that on a fresh pallet I can distinguish all the subtle nuances of the va flake better than on a tired one.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
medium strength Burley forward for the morning,then if possible after mid-day, its something like dark or bright Virgina with perique or Kentucky and once I got home I usually am choosing kentucky dark fired blends as after the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.