PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have done quite a bit of research but have not seen anything to answer this question. The one on the left is a US made falcon and the one on the right is one made in Ireland.
My question is why is the one on the left so much different? As in the central tube pattern. Is this just a mistake from the factory? Or purposely done for some reason? I have never seen the pattern start so far down on the central tube. Thanks for your time and happy lunting!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
A little bump on this, I would love to hear any ideas about this. I appreciate it.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
That's normal. The Ireland pipes weren't made for very long, and had a different tube. At least according to the book I read on my Kindle. Great book by the way and will tell you all you want to know. Fascinating story. It's called "Back From the Ashes."

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Falcons have had several manufacturers. Here's the bare basics to help decipher the markings:
FALCON, Made in England - started in the 1960's

FD - Fry Diecast - number range is FD1 thru FD19 (FD16 was made in 1970)

FD + an alpha letter - Federal Die Casting (FDF / FDG / FDH)

PP + die number - Presbal Products

AN + die number - Andoic (AN2 - 1974 / AN3 - 1982)

Bantam only made in England 1963 onward (FD B5 / FD B7)

Irish Falcons - 1972 - 1977

Shillelagh - May 1966 (FD8)

ALCO - 1964 (F2 - F8 = Fry / P4 = Presbar Die)

1975 - 1981 (also currently) Falcon Head was imprinted on stem
Hope that helps you date your Falcons. Great little pipes, especially for traveling.

Reactions: Dolomitico

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Just wondering... maybe the central tube was put it in the wrong way around???
Hmm, didn't think about that one. I wonder...
That's normal. The Ireland pipes weren't made for very long, and had a different tube. At least according to the book I read on my Kindle. Great book by the way and will tell you all you want to know. Fascinating story. It's called "Back From the Ashes."
It's normal? Every falcon I have seen has looked like the one on the right (Irish made) i have never seen one that resembles the one on the left side (us made)I will try and get my hands on the book.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm betting that could A) Be a factory error and the employee took the pipe home and years later it makes its way out to the public. Or B) a previous owner has messed with a Bantam pipe by putting in a standard tube. i.e. two broken pipes can make one working pipe.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'm sorry. I didn't look close enough as my cell phone is small. I just remembered in the book, they had pics of the Irish and English pipes, and clearly talked about the difference in length to where the grooves start. However, in the book's images, the gap was not nearly that large as yours. Strange, and hope you get an answer to the mystery. Maybe you will find you have a very collectible pipe!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I looked at scores of Falcon pipes in eBay last night and didn't see anything like yours. Ended up winning an auction for another one...my third Falcon.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I'm sorry. I didn't look close enough as my cell phone is small. I just remembered in the book, they had pics of the Irish and English pipes, and clearly talked about the difference in length to where the grooves start. However, in the book's images, the gap was not nearly that large as yours. Strange, and hope you get an answer to the mystery. Maybe you will find you have a very collectible pipe!
No worries, thanks for the info though. I've read about that book but need to get my hands on it. My birthday is on the 16th so maybe I can hint to someone that is what I want :rofl:
Maybe you have the Falcon version of the 1937 three legged Buffalo Nickel...
That would be pretty cool!! Especially if it would be worth some big bucks :lol: but I'm guessing it is some sort of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.