Difference Between Poker and CherryWoods, if any?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I was wondering if there are really any differences in shape between pokers and cherrywoods. I suspect that CherryWoods were originally French or American pipes carved from cherry wood but that is just speculation. I see many briar pipes offered as "cherry woods" so it isn't the material, at least not in today's sloppy parlance.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In days of old some farmers would carve their own pipes out fruit wood.Cherry being one of them.Most of the time these days the term Cherry wood refers to a style of pipe.I guess one could still find a pipe made out of actual Cherry Wood.My experience from many years ago as I remember is that they smoke fairly hot.

Poker

big-3122-dunhill-chestnut-briar-pipe.jpg

Cherrywood

002-015-2014_4.jpg

Chris :puffpipe:

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Basically, cherrywoods are named in such a way, that you may pass up an amazing Hardcastle sitter pipe on Ebay, because you mistake 'cherrywood' as the material the pipe is made from, and not the shape. Not that it has happened to me. ... or that I'm still stewing over it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And the Danish poker adds to the confusion.
http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/DanishPoker.php

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Poker2.gif

Cool, I finally found the parker super bruyere cherrywood pipe I have because I was always looking for a poker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good thread guys. So, my Parker poker is a cherrywood. Live and learn. I have a La Rocca poker, a poker through and through. Then I have a hand carved Mountain Laurel poker (Jerry Perry) that, like the Dunhill, has a shank that joins the bowl at the base. It also has a slight variance in the symmetry of the cylindrical bowl that gives it a sort of Japanese spin. I like these pipes for a sort of rusticity with a pronounced elegance, sort of like a courtly old farmer.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Mso we could always shave off the bottom of the bowl to make it flat, straighten the stem and have pokers.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
One of my favorite Neerup pokers:

My favorite Neerup CherryWood.

A custom poker by Eric Paulson.

My least expensive poker, a Stanwell Brushed Black for around $50. Smokes as good as most of the above.

Cob pokers - I own one similar to the top.

Over the last year or two, I've developed an appreciation for the humble poker. I'm becoming convinced that they may be the best smoking pipes, on average, of any of the classic shapes. I do believe that one of the many reasons cobs smoke so well is that many are pokers or similar.
Thanks guys. Going forward, the slanted bottom is the key for me. Squared off bottom is the poker, slanted is a cherry. If grows tall, call it a stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.