Status
Not open for further replies.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I know! Right?

I posted a lot and then *poof!* Gone.

In case you were wondering ...

My grandchild was born, recently, and spent 16 days in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). He aspirated (inhaled into the lungs) meconium (That tarry first poop that babies do) while in the womb. This is very damaging to a baby's lungs. It dissolves the surfactant (The stuff that lubricates the lining of the air sacs to keep them from getting stuck closed after exhaling) The doctors felt that it was extensive because they found meconium under his fingernails. He spent 2 days on a ventilator. The rest of the days were spent trying to get him to breath without the assistance of extra oxygen. Other than that he was born a beautiful (not just g'ma talk) 9lb 2 oz baby boy.

He's home now. Praise God for His kind mercy and healing and answering a lot of prayers :)

My days were spent driving his parents to and from the hospital. As most young couples go - their car isn't the most reliable one. I couldn't imagine his momma breaking down on the side of the road trying to get to the hospital to see her baby. So, I took it upon myself to see that this wouldn't happen.

And now, as it happens in my neck of the woods, it's Social Gathering season. The time of years when the weather is nice and there are 748297385265 bazillion things to do in one weekend. I've been busy.

So, I stopped in to say "Hi. I didn't fall off of the planet" :)
Happy piping :puffpipe:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Glad to hear things are going well, welcome back!
It's surprising how many things can go "wrong" during and after a birth. I don't think I've heard of a single birth in years from relatives or friends where there wasn't some issue, but they all turned out fine in the end. I've taken to warning prospective parents not to panic, as little hiccups are common.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I'm sorry to haar about your troubles, but glad things have progressed and your grandchild is now home. I hope there are no lingering health issues to worry about. The parents were lucky to have you and your help.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good to see you misu and very glad things are working out for your granddaughter. Hope you find more time to hang around here.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Glad to see you back Misu, and more glad that everything seems to be working out with your grandson. I will raise a bowl tonight to him, his parents and yourself for many happy memories for the future.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I was wondering where you went, so glad to hear that a dismal looking situation has turned out well. Congratulations on the new grandbaby! May his Memaw spoil him without mercy! :D

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
MISU! Best wishes to that grandbaby of yours.
My wife and I lived in a NICU at a childrens hospital (three hours away from where we live) for five weeks when my youngest was born. I never tell people I know how they feel, but I remember leaving my other kids with our parents and how grateful we we're that we had a family behind us to support us. Whether it was knowing I had someone to take my other kids to school, tuck them in, or just someone to mow my grass, it made one of the hardest times in my life ten times easier.
You deserve a big hug from someone.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congrats on the Grandbaby! I am sorry there wsa NICU time. I dislike NICU time. Anyway, glad all is well and welcome back!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on being a grandmother. I am glad all went well for the baby and for you and your family.
I hope your granddaughter continues to get stronger and that she feels better quickly and completes the recovery process.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Misu,

Welcome back. I am very happy to hear your little grand baby is doing so well. I worked for almost 5 years in Pediatrics and well children are just so awesome to work with.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Congrats Misu,,,,,,

I did 4 weeks of NICU with my premee son.

2 lb 6 oz and the healthiest one in there.

That was 17 years ago

God bless modern medicine.
Your grandsons home now and everyone will rest easier.

Cheers,

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Thank you everyone for the good vibes and well wishes :)

Congratulations! Post some pics if you can so we can coo with you!

You asked for it (hope it works :) )
Meet Vinny. I used to almost yell at my daughter's belly "Hey, yo, Vinny!!!" but that was frowned upon in the quietness of the NICU. So, I started calling him "Vinny the pooh."

Status
Not open for further replies.