PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I stopped by a local B&M for a tin of Erinmore Flake. When I got in my car to leave, I took a close look at the tin. It was old and rusty, and said 'Made in Northern Ireland by Murray, Sons & Co., Ltd., Belfast." I have a newer tin that says "Made in Denmark by Scandinavian Tobacco Group." I immediately went back in and grabbed the other 100g tin I saw inside, and it too was just as battered with the same markings, so I bought it.
Here's the side of one of the 100g tins I just bought:
cwvDm9asA3Lw9atmQbl5etGTCg

Here's the side of a newer 50g tin I have showing the made in Denmark language:
ry%3D480

Here's the front of one of the old tins:
ry%3D480

Here's the back of one of the old tins, which does say made in Denmark:
ry%3D480

Does anyone have any thoughts? Did I get lucky and find some Murray made tins that have been sitting on a shelf since at least 2005 (isn't that when production in Belfast stopped?)? How to explain the Stokkebye sticker on the back? Is it possible that this was one of the last Belfast made tins that Stokkebye acquired when they took over production and sent out themselves?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
looks like you did great, the one with the stokebbye sticker might be one of the first made in denmark while tey were transitioning packaging

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Ah yes, maybe Stokkebye acquired a supply of unused tins that Murray had in stock. Either way, I think I lucked on some very nicely aged stuff. Can't wait until I finish my opened tin so I can compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.