PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I got a one ounce sample from P&C of Briar Fox - or did I? It's really REALLY dry, very fine cut, very loose in the pouch, filling it to close to the top andnot a bit of a crumble cake (but it was a one ounce package),1/8 inch of just dust at the bottom and is a mixture of light and dark very short brown strands. I WANT to like briar fox because I read good things about it but I can't get a good enough idea from the write-ups on the net to decide if I should trust this sample. Any wisdom from the forum?
Plugugly

C&D is known for their overly dry, possibly just dead, sun cured Virginias. Briarfox is one of the better ones, but only because of the burley they added. When I try a C&D Virginia, to make a high score with me, they just have to not suck really bad.

Otherwise, move on to a McClelland product for the best of Virginias.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Not that this isn't the case, but Briar Fox is a crumble cake, and usually sold/given as such. Was this sample from someone you know or was it thrown in on an order?
With that said, just because it starts out as a crumble cake, depending on how it was stored, length of time, and if it was moved around a lot there may be more crumble than cake. I have a 1/2 pint jar of a tin that I had, that has lots of "shake" at the bottom of the jar. But, I still have quite a bit of the cake leftover.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks guys. Guess it's real. It was in a P&C order box which may account for the flake's disarray.
Plugugly
PS

I hear you, Cosmic!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a sample of Briar Fox in crumble cake form with some other tobacco I ordered. It just didn't have much flavor to me. It wasn't nasty, just minimal taste. I have the same problem (to go to another extreme) with Sir Walter. I like full-strength blends and tobaccos, but I also enjoy some mild blends, but those two just don't register with my taste buds. Both are enjoyed by others, but I just can't get the taste. So, maybe you're the same, at least with Briar Fox.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Far from wisdom, but my limited experience is that a one year old tin was mediocre and a ten year old tin was quite nice.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Haha don't we all want to like briar fox don't we all. For how bad this blend is I wish C&D would make a Briar Rabbit and have it be a phenomenal blend. I'm thinking a very nicely done VaBur or VaPer. Heck I'll do the blending just give me the components.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Briar Fox is beautiful. What you got was P&C bulk. Which sounds like the bottom of the bag bulk. Smoke it, if you like it, order a tin. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.