PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A fine gentleman came into the pipe/cigar shop over the weekend and produced a gorgeous bent apple that I come to find out he had made, (along with many others over the years) and fills it with some tobacco he pulled from a small zip lock Baggie. So he's smoking and talking with customers and I get free for a bit and strike up a conversation concerning what he was smoking.

Well, it turns out that he scored on a 35 year or older tin of John Cotton #'s1+2 and as we talk he handed me what was left in his stash. It was a generous bowl full, ( thanks again Andy!) and I placed it in my pipe kit and took it along home after the day was over. Yesterday after lunch I decided I would give it a try, I had a clean palate and was in no hurry to be anywhere. It was just dry enough for my liking and it packed nicely. After a couple charring lights I gave it a good true light and immedietly noticed that this wasn't going to taste like an English blend, at least not like any I'm used too. What I was getting hit with were Virginias and not the sweet stuff, no this tasted like hay and for sure was a little bitey. I slowly and carefully worked my down to mid bowl where I started to detect some more familiar notes only severely muted, not the smokey Latakia I'm so accustomed to but rather a softer, nutty version of it. I finished it down to a nice white ash and pondered why after having just consumed a 35+ year old, highly sought after Vintage tobacco, I'm not just gushing with nostalgic enthusiasm? Could it be that those of you who chase the online auctions for this and similar tinned English tobaccos are really after it because the age mutes the Latakia into near non-exsistance?

I feel like I've squandered an opportunity on one hand but on the other feel that maybe I'm not just sophisticated enough to really enjoy what decades of aging can do for a blend. I'm not knocking those of you who tirelessly pursue these vintage tins, in fact it's the opposite. I'd like to know exactly why you do and whether my taste buds are just too immature to fully appreciate what's there.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've probably got the taste buds of 40 grit sandpaper when it comes to tasting these so called delicate nuances in 'aged' pipe tobacco, but be that as it may. With that said, I just don't place much weight in all this hoopla over ten and twenty year old aged tins of tobacco. Buy a tin... SMOKE it. But, that's just this old farts opinion. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's a little bit like wine. Some bottles, if they are handled just right, come up years later aged to perfection.

Or maybe they're just left in the rack and become excellent. But many other bottles, or in our case tins, don't

age all that well, even though they might be good Virginia tobacco that might. It's the leaf, the storage, the

arbitrary time, and luck. If I had the inclination to open a tin after two years, I don't think I'd store it for ten.

It's not a time capsule.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I agree with you about chasing fabled blends. Smoking them is a treat but with great age you are not smoking the original. Blends do change with time and latakia does lose some, if not all, of its smokiness over time. Like mso489, I buy tins to smoke and enjoy in the now.

Dec 24, 2012
The analogy to wine is somewhat apt. 97% of wines or more do not age well. Of those that do, for many there is an optimal drinking window, beyond which they will degrade. But certain wines can be designed for optimal aging by having, among other things, strong tannic properties that will mellow and bloom with the aging process. Similarly, not all tobacco is meant to be aged. We know aros are in this category. However, VAs do age extremely well for very long periods of time, much like a fine bordeaux, Latakia is more like a pinot noir - it will smooth with some age but at some point the aging will be counterproductive and the wine will regress.

Status
Not open for further replies.