Did I Get a Little Overzealous with the Pipe Cleaners?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I searched around for something similar, but I seem to have been the first pipe smoker foolish enough to have made this particular mistake(!). As you can see in the picture below, I appear to have run a pipe cleaner too far down this Stanwell slightly bent acorn (registered patent, Sixten design... :crying:) during and after my smokes and have gouged out a tiny bit of the briar from the heel, probably from twisting the pipe cleaner trying to sop up the moisture while the briar was still warm.

My question is whether or not you think this will be OK if I learn from my dumb mistake and continue to smoke carefully, or do I need to do a pipe mud fix? I'm assuming this could possibly lead to a burnout if I'm not careful.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Pipes
Picture did not post. Try again.
I can't imagine how a pipe cleaner could really do that much damage so I'm guessing (without seeing) you're ok.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Sorry, picture should be displaying now. I hope you're of the same opinion after you see it, haha.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Emergency! Emergency!

Need pipe mud right away.

May be a folding paper towel can help before using a pipe cleaner.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't think that it will be an issue. A few bowls and the area will get recovered. When I use pipe cleaners, I keep my fingers on the cleaner at a point where it will clear the shank airway without bumping up against the far side of the chamber.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
forest7 has the answer with the pipe mud. Then be gentle for a while in cleaning the pipe. I have

been vigorous with pipe cleaners and never had a problem, so I am not sure this wasn't over-drilled

at the factory and then maybe covered over, but that is a rare irregularity for a Stanwell. I have three,

and they seem excellent quality.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Still don't see a pic, just don't run your cleaner all the way into the chamber.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
See the photo now.
I agree with Sable. Just fill it up only 1/2 way a few times and smoke to the bottom. Should be ok, IMO.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I wouldn't worry about a divot that small. Burnt carbon will fill that up in no time.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That should be no problem at all. I have seen pipes from very respectable makers in which the bit used to drill out the airway made contact or even cut into the bowl wall opposite the draft hole. No less than Tim West has said that such a condition is naturally corrected by cake accumulation.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks, all. I have put 2-3 bowls through the pipe since I took that picture last week, always checking to make sure there are no hot spots in the heel as I smoke, and it has started to cover over just like many of you said. I assumed this was a good sign, but some reassurance from more experienced pipe smokers is the best way to put your mind at ease!

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
This is a severe defect and needs to be addressed immediately! Send me the pipe with no further ado. I am a pipe doctor amd if we are very lucky I am able to mend this pipe within a year. My consoltation is not cheap though.... :wink: :lol:
Smoke the hell out of this little pipe! :D :puffy:

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Yup, it is an over-drill from the factory that will cause you no problem. A pipe cleaner is, in my experience, unlikely to do any damage at all to briar. Over drills are not that common in briar, more common in Meers.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Looks like all that you did was clean it really well. I don't see damage, just a spot of briar shining through. And also the over drilling, which is a separate issue and just as inconsequential.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I have a pipe that looks like that, product of over drilling is my guess. I use a napkin to swap the bowl before I stick a pipe cleaner to get rid of excess moisture, I also used to accidentally hit the briar with the pipe cleaner, never did significant damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.