Did Anyone Watch the Mayweather/McGreggor Fight?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I enjoy MMA but I've always and still am more a boxing fan. I feel MMA fans don't give boxing the credit it deserves as they don't understand it's more than just walking around a ring throwing punches. I heard so many people claim that McGreggor was going to knock Mayweather out within the first 4 rounds. I knew that McGreggor would have to come out punching and end it quickly if that was to happen. But in boxing, a big part of the strategy is avoiding those punches, biding your time until your opponent tires. That's exactly what Mayweather did, the first three rounds won on the score card to McGreggor. But then rounds four through ten happened, and it turned into a new kind of fight that McGreggor is unaccustomed to. Round ten, Mayweather schooled McGreggor. Was fun to watch.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I watched it. Great fight. Mayweather was just trying to wear him out in the first half of the fight. It seemed like he knew he would get tired out and that is when Mayweather went into attack mode. Hats off to Connor for hanging with one of the best fighters in history in his first professional boxing match! Kind of crazy that he was able to go 9.5 rounds. Great Fight!

Jan 8, 2013
Hats off to Connor for hanging with one of the best fighters in history in his first professional boxing match!
Yes! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking McGreggor in the least. And in fact I'd like to see him train more and get into the sport of boxing more. I think he could actually do quite well. But this fight, his first boxing match against a great fighter, and used to short MMA fights, he was outclassed.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I watched. I called it a week ago. There's a reason Mayweather was 49-0. He's a smart boxer. I rooted for the underdog but I just didn't see him winning. MacGregor held his own considering he had to leave 90% of his ammo at the ringside.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
MacGregor did better than I would have guessed (I watched it on youtube this AM). I had it streamed last night, but couldn't stay awake... I was born to be wild, but only until 11 PM or so I guess. MacGregor handled the defeat better than I would have guessed. I thought the ref stopped it prematurely, but MacGregor was beat at that point. If there is a rematch, I hope MacGregor trains with 20 round fights.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I found it hard to believe that people thought that an MMA fighter would prevail against a very strategic, defensive boxer in a boxing match. Sure, Mayweather v. McGregor in an MMA fight, McGregor would have waxed the floor with Mayweather, but not proper boxing.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
I've watched MMA since UFC , although my interest has waned in the past year or so. It was all over YouTube as soon as it was over. I didn't want to give them any money. I was annoyed everytime I heard someone say Conor was going to knock Mayweather out. A coworker was trying to explain to me that Conor is a fighter while Mayweather is "just a boxer". Yes.....BUT THIS IS A BOXING MATCH!!! It's not MMA rules! He was not convinced. It's ridiculous to buy into the hype. He was stepping into Mayweather's world and got spanked. I don't care if you're the most stone cold veteran killer out on the streets. Try competing in an Olympic Shooting event and you're going to get schooled. And that's exactly what happened.
Mayweather controlled everything from start to finish. Conor held his own and just the fact he lasted as long as he did was impressive in its own right. But he was a fish out of water. Everything he has trained for, that's now muscle memory, repeated thousands and thousands of times, had to be consciously abandoned. That in itself is difficult. To try and concentrate in order to not throw an illegal punch, kick, takedown is enough to distract someone from the task at hand. But Mayweather was able to just go in there and do what he's done since he was a child. He could fight on auto pilot with out much of a worry.
I'm looking forward to collecting my bets in the office tomorrow :)

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I thought it was rigged as it has been for the past 2 decades. Mayweather did not break a sweat and did not even seem interested. The fight was stopped prematurely. Mayweather purposely prolonged the fight by... Not fighting. It was the strangest nonfight I have witnessed. But when you are looking at a 200M payday... Why not! Paying for these ridiculous "fights" ppv is an expensive way to watch fantasy fighting. WWE is much cheaper.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
MacGregor did better than I would have guessed (I watched it on youtube this AM).
Same here.
I thought the ref stopped it prematurely, but MacGregor was beat at that point.
I don't know. Mayweather could have nearly killed him at that point, had he wanted to.

Jan 8, 2013
The fight was stopped prematurely.
I don't believe so. McGreggor was clearly in trouble at the very end there whether he realized it or wanted to admit it or not. If I can see that while watching it on tv, I can bet the ref could recognize it far more than I could. I've seen plenty of boxing matches end just as this one did. Part of the refs job is to keep the boxers safe, and not ending it could have been dangerous for McGreggor. Plus it helped McGreggor save face by not going to the mat fast asleep. I think the ref made the right call.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I boxed as a kid and it just seems that fighters are not allowed to finish. Probably for the best at this level. It, IMHO, was a disappointing fight. And I would have loved to have seen CM on the mat. At least then I would not have felt like Mayweather was pulling his punches.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Even though McGregor managed to last 10 rounds, it still looked like Mayweather was in control the whole time. He played McGregor like a baby trout. If he was overly cautious, I imagine it was only to avoid taking a fluke hard left in the early rounds.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The younger man exhausted himself, and seemed open to counterpunches right from the beginning.

The turning your back tactic seemed lame.

You notice that the pressure was applied by the old man, the entire fight.

He was JUMPING back in front of that hammerheaded Irishman.

Had the fight not been stopped, any boxing credibility McGreggor might have garnished would have been severely tarnished.

Boxing endurance is a 'whole nuther thing'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't see it. It was a strange mismatch. Apparently McGreggor did better than I expected, as well as he could have done since this isn't his sport, or not yet. Why it was sanctioned I don't know, but the fighters and promoters cleaned up nicely. It sounds like it was interesting viewing, but as much spectacle as boxing. 'Glad the contender wasn't killed or put in a coma.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I did not see it. I'm saving my money for the real fight, GGG vs. Canelo.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I was really surprised by McGregor, he held his own where I thought Mayweather would dominate him every round. If it was rigged McGregor would have won. I think McGregor will most likely go into pro boxing now and Dana White will get into promoting boxing, and boxing will finally return as king

Status
Not open for further replies.