PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Do we call ourselves pipers or does that confuse us with strange men with flutes that lead rats and children away from towns?
Anyway I thought I would share my experiences with my pipes and tobaccos. I hope you enjoy reading about my progress in the hobby and maybe can point out some things I should try or change to improve my experience.
So last night I sat down with two episodes of the radio show and my M&T rusticated pipe filled with Shortcut to Mushrooms.
Well I should start from the beginning. The SCTM seemed a bit moist so I tried the nuke technique that I have read about and found that 15 secs is a tad much. So I mixed in some fresh SCTM and packed the bowl using the three step method.
As the podcast started up I used two charring lights. At this point the entire top of the bowl was not charred but I went for the final light. And every thing went swell. Enjoyed the podcast and the first several good sips before a relight. After the fist podcast (episode 4) was done I had relit about 4 times.
As for the tobacco I really tried to focus on what flavors I could find. And I got smoke flavor. Every once in a while I did get some general sweet notes but really just a smooth mellow (for lack of knowledge) tobacco flavor. I find it not very different than the wild cherry I have smoked in the past. But the room note is really where this one differed for me. I loved the smell of woodsy camp fire, really conjured up images of rangers and hobbits.
But halfway through the bowl I started to loose the relaxation due to constant relights. Also I had some gurgling. So I assume that the condensation from the toby being drawn into the rest of the bowl is what made it hard to keep it lit. So after episode 5 concluded and the pipe went out again I called it a night.
I wish I could articulate the flavor of the toby better but I should get better with time. All in all still a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. I look forward to my next bowl of Shortcut to Mushrooms.
BTW Thanks to my pipe bro Jah96 who sent me the samples of which SCTM was part of.
Till the next bowl,

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I had the same problem with relights until I figured out I was packing to tightly. I had been using the three step method. First tamp like a baby, second like a lady, and third like a man. I now gravity feed my pipe until up to the top of the bowel then tamp like a baby. Step two, after another gravity feed, I tamp like a rather weak lady. Step three weak lady again just enough to bevel and level off the top of the bowl full of tobacco. My tobacco takes the first char and sometimes doesn't need any lighting at all after that. While smoking I tamp a little, but don't even let the full weight of the tamper push down. I just want to compact the top ash slightly so that it rejoins the burning ember. Try packing lighter, and good smokes my friend.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Scott. I'm still figuring out how I like to pack this blend. I tend to pack this pretty loose and lazy. I remember watching my Grandfather pack his pipe straight from this nasty smelling leather tobacco pouch he used to carry around. He'd dip the pipe in, drag it full of tobacco, push it down almost 3/4 of the way with his thumb, then repeat to fill up the remaining space, then tamp it down a bit past the bowl.
That works for me with Shortcut. I really like "exhaling" this one out of my nose although the smell tends to stick in mustache for hours afterwards.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Good advice from previous posters. Something that may help your pipe smoking experience is learning how to tamp correctly. I tamp fairly often and very lightly and unless I get engrossed in something I'm doing and forget to puff (gently), I very rarely have relights at all. That being said, pipe smoking is an ongoing learning experience with lots of variables like moisture content of tobacco, packing procedure, lighting procedure, tamping procedure and how to draw. When you get it right (not if, keep at it b/c it will come), you will have that wonderful experience that every pipe smoker gets occasionally, the perfect smoke. Good luck and happy puffing!

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I'm smoking pipes for about 10 months now, excessively, and I have not experienced plugs, tongue bite or burn, gurgling (too often), or disappointing bottom-bowls for a while now. It has all been a matter of practice for me.
Not that it matters, because there are many methods for packing, lighting, and tamping, but: I use some version of the air-pocket method to pack my pipes (depending on the size of the bowl); I light the center of the bowl, rather than paying attention to the entire surface of it; and I tamp only when I have to, not really caring at all if I have to re-re-re-re-re-light.
I don't keep my flame on the tobacco for longer than a second, and I find that the bottom of my bowls taste as good as the top of them, or almost as good.
I found my style, and I'm happy.
Good luck. And as AA'ers say: Don't quit until the miracle happens.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks to all for the insight and great comments.
I decided to take advantage of the unseasonably warm temps here in MN and have a smoke on the porch Saturday night. So I grabbed my Galleria Wild Cherry and spread some out on a paper to dry for a bit (this toby has always gurgled for me. I have smoked about 4 bowls of is so far). I loaded up my new EA Carey Magic Inch rusticated bent pipe and headed to the front porch.
With just a couple of charring lights I was well on my way to a very enjoyable smoke. As I sat there listening to the wind blow leaves up and down the street I puffed and savored each sip, trying to see what was different about this smoke from the night before with Shortcut to Mushrooms. I paced back and forth on the porch (partially to stay warm) and discussed the merits and differences of this smoke with myself (I am a self talker, neighbors probably think I am a kook). I found this to be a very very light smoke. The flavor was mild to almost nonexistent. I also retro-haled and still got no extra or distinct flavors. As for the room note, I only got a few very faint notes of a sweet cherry smell that I expect would come from this toby. I blame the wind for whipping the smoke away before I could get a good sniff.
As I worked my way to the half a bowl mark I was getting some intermittent gurgle. Also at that point the relights started coming more frequently. But I didn't let that bother me. I really don't mind the relights unless I have to do it after every sip or draw in the pipe then I get a little frustrated. But I kept on and was able to finish the bowl.
Probably the most enjoyable part was the warm bowl. I really loved holding the bowl of the pipe. It was like holding a warm cup of tea. This helped take some of the chill out of the air. I was wondering if this is the right temp for the bowl? I have heard that smoking too hot is bad for the pipe. I also heard something about a cheek test but don't know what that means.
Also I really feel for you guys that have to smoke in the cold, it was very hard to relax and enjoy the smoke as the cold started to creep in.
My final thoughts are that I enjoyed the Wild Cherry, it was a nice contrast to the Shortcut to Mushroom. I think the room note is very pleasent. It reminds me of Grandpa and trips to his house on the lake. I believe I will finish my jar of Wild Cherry but I may look for another brand of cherry to replace it when it is gone.
So till the next bowl,

Status
Not open for further replies.