PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclesam54

Lurker
Nov 12, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new to this website and forum. I am fairly new to the pipe smoking hobby, but have done it long enough to know most pipes and which ones are better for what. so on to my question, recently I came across and what i think may be a diamond in the ruff. i was walking through a antique store which i enjoy because of the things you can find (I found my pipe stands that way). well deep int he shadows of a shelf i saw a briar pipe with a bulldog fashioned bowl, i picked it up and noticed it was pretty used byt he previous owner. the bowl had lots of cake, and the stem was no longer black if you know what i mean. i started looking so see who made this beautiful piece, well i fell short of nothing. the only thing i can find is an engraving on the side of the mortor that states Lord Abbott. now i cannot find any info on such a brand, i was hoping maybe some of long time smokers have heard of such a name. i do have plans to restore and use the pipe, and since i only paid 10 bucks for it i am not complaining. i just want to know something about the name Lord Abbott. Please help shed some light to me and is it a diamond in the ruff or simply a cheap briar

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
unclesam54:
I found nothing for "Lord Abbott"; however, I did find that "Abbott" was a brand of Andersen & Abbott, and was made in England. Please post images of this pipe, as that will help the members here identify it.

unclesam54

Lurker
Nov 12, 2014
yes, that is what i came up with. I will get Pictures up ASAP, the pipe has some salt and alcohol sitting in it at the moment. but as soon as its finished pictures will be up!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't believe that Lord Abbot was made by Grabow. Willards may have been produced before Grabow made them by Van Roy or HLT after they bought Van Roy and one or the other may have made the Lord Abbot.

unclesam54

Lurker
Nov 12, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.