PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2017
Maryland
I rencently bought a briar that I really like(mentioned it on a recent forum) and someone suggested to visit, Vermont freehand for replacement stems. The problem is I don't know whether to go by the stem diameter or shank. I might of missed where Vermont mentioned about which to measure. As always thank you, pipers...... If this matters, stem 7.937 (guessing 8mm) and shank, 8.334 (guessing close to 8 1/2)
Edit: the title was fixed to comply with Rule #9 on capitalization ~Cosmic

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
A stem must be hand fitted to the shank. The clearance at the mortise/tenon joint is extremely critical. Steve Norse at Vermont Freehand does excellent work as do Tim West and Mark Tinsky. I am sure that there are several others as well.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
It's not whether fitting the shank, tenon, or mortise is what needs to be done, it's all 3 need to be correct. To get this right, it's really not what someone trying for the first time gets right. Probably you need to do this type of job, numerous times to get it right, or even close to right. georged ..... you can pipe in at any time... :)
Send it to someone that knows what they are doing.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
My local Tinderbox charges $25 for this:
s-l1600.jpg

The good ones out there charge what they are worth. I have a Dunhill that I would like georged to work on but I am a cheap bastage.

Status
Not open for further replies.