PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Folks:
Anybody bought Nightcap recently? Two of my last three purchases have either been cased or something has been added. All have been bulk buys.
The first half pound came from Hiland Cigar and the taste was off. They never responded to my questions so I crossed them off my future "buy" list and threw it away.
The next order came from 4Noggins and was perfect.
The last lb. came from Pipes and Cigars and has the same funky taste as the first order.
I called P&C and spoke to a bright young lady named Lisa. She said mine was the first complaint and checked their 10 latest reviews which were mostly favorable. She suggested that it might be the transition from Syrian Lat to Cyprian Lat. The new smoke is sweeter and has an odd whang to it.
Thanks!
Fnord

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Interesting, I have not had any in a while and it's on my next order list. I never buy bulk anything though. Well, you can't for the most part over here. I shall be watching this thread.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Nightcap had Syrian Latakia? Since when?
I think Hiland Cigar sells their matches for Dunhill. I just called them and they confirmed it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Bought 3 lbs of bulk "Nightcap" from Hilands and have had nothing with trouble with the order start to finish. By cut, color and aroma what I received is not Nightcap but instead what I might call "Caramel Cavendish Hopeful of Latakia." The owner Scott promised a refund about the third week of September. On October 4 I turned the matter over to Visa Fraud at my bank. The matter might not be ended until March 1. I will never do business with Hilands again.
I think he does a good business in cigars and doubt that he knows much about pipes and tobacco. In any case his pipe merchandise is an add-on to which he is not invested.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Did I read something somewhere about Nightcap having some 'glycol' somethingerother in it now?

Someone was ranting on smokingpipes.com by means of a review about the latest Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe having propylene glycol now. Said he could tell right away because he's allergic. Having never tried either blend, I don't know. I have ordered a tin of EMP from 4noggins –wonder what I'm gonna get—then again, having never tried the blends I wonder if I'll ever know what the difference is.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Is it possible that you got the match blend instead of the original? Or that this was... substituted... for you?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Someone commented on one of my YT vids recently that he's allergic to propolyne glycol and he could immediately tell when he lit up his pipe. Probably the same person that olkofri referenced in his post, but not sure. My stuff is all older, so I couldn't say one way or the other if the blend has changed.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Interesting. When you say 'caramel goop' that implies there is more than just propolyne glycol added to it. Yes I did just Google what that was, and its colourless and odorless.
I'm thinking someone did the old Saskatoon switcheroo on you and hoped you wouldn't notice. The 'bonus feature' that may or may not be added to newer Nightcaps is probably a separate issue.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Send some to Bradley, he would know in a second if it was not the real thing...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I just finished a batch of bulk Nightcap from P&C today, as a matter of fact. It seemed a bit off. I would concur there was a little "whang" to it. However, I had this experience previously with bulk. I had only ordered tins and decided to get bulk a year or so ago. It tasted a bit different in a not too pleasant way and the Forum suggested I jar it and come back to it. It helped a little after a couple days, but never quite got the tin Nightcap flavor I love. I had the flu for some of this last batch and, though it wasn't horrible, it was still not up to the tin flavor. I'm not in a position to jar anything for any good amount of time, so this still may be a remedy worth trying. If I had to say, it would either be a difference in the Turkish or Latakia. I always get a strong Nic buzz from Perique and this last batch was no different in that regard. Nightcap is an all day smoke for me when I have it.
Jar it a couple weeks and it may be fine. Or, shoot the postman. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
For me, Hiland's was an aberration and I'll never look their way again.
MikeThompson: I don't know what a "Saskatoon switcheroo" really is but I can certainly guess. Hate to think reputable vendors play it that fast and loose with items that have a distinctive look, feel, taste and aroma but, then again, folks have been faking Cuban cigars for years.
Weezell: I've got a couple of rabbis here. Our terrific mod, Al, catches my questions for all things GBD, Sasieni and pipe oddities, Jesse/Sablebrush is my go-to for anything Barling, high end, ancient English briar and the SoCal entertainment industry. And, everybody's favorite Cajun has been my mentor for over six years. I've asked him how to ream out a bore, realign a DG Grabow stem, "heat the tenon to fragrance" - pipe makers I'd never heard of, ("You buy it, Jim. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you and pay the postage.") Weez, he was the first guy I reached out to on this Nightcap issue and I'll mail him some tomorrow.
Mayfair: When you're dealing with the real, honest to God bulk, you're going to be pulling out stems and twigs and that's to be expected. Yeah, there's going to be the floor sweepings and I'm okay with that. (Kinda' goes with the territory.) However, I'm no longer okay with something that isn't even in the ballpark of what I ordered. I've opened a trouble ticket and I know I'll treated fairly. I've got that much faith in Russ Oueltte.
Fnord

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jim, I could be wrong here but I believe the supplies of genuine Syrian Latakia were exhausted some years ago so why the lady at customer services told you that I can only wonder.
Hope you get the issue sorted.
Regards,
Jay.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I prefer Captain Earle Mystic Blend to NightCap. So I never went back nor bought the bulk.
Speaking of Bulk, I bought a box of FVF, it was very different from the tin.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Speaking of Bulk, I bought a box of FVF, it was very different from the tin."
I too have found that to be the case and I put it down to the bulk being younger as it appears to be the quickest seller whereas the tins sit in the warehouse that much longer. This might also explain why the bulk is wetter than the tinned.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Luckily, I have an unopened tin that's been around a few years, so I'm covered for a while. All the news about Dunhill seems to be gloomy. I hope they keep blending the good stuff and keep it on the market. I am casting around for alternatives, not matches but blends to enjoy instead if necessary.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I could be wrong here but I believe the supplies of genuine Syrian Latakia were exhausted some years ago so why the lady at customer services told you that I can only wonder.
It's a big "turn off" when CS has no idea what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.