PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Been on a bit of a DFK tasting spree lately. I'm a big fan of Irish Flake so decided to try some of the other Dark Fired Kentucky offerings that are out there. Went at it kind of slowly with only the occasional blend here and there and haven't made much progress. Heinrich's Dark Strong is one I absolutely hated and Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices was a pretty big disappointment as well. Old Dark Fired I like but don't really love and Jack Knife Plug is about the same, nothing bad to say about it but it didn't really knock it out of the park for me. So, I decided to jump start my little experiment and devote an entire tobacco order to blends that contain the smokey leaf of my birth state. Now the only question is, where to start?, lol.
2 oz tin of GL Pease Cumberland

2 oz tin of GL Pease Triple Play

50 gram tin of Bell's Three Nuns

100 gram tin of Solani Silver Flake (the tin is just stupid big)

50 gram tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake

1 oz Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky

1 oz Gawith Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye

1 oz Gawith Haggarth Dark Flake Unscented

and a 4th Generation Single Pipe Combo Pouch :)

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Just to be picky, Gawith Haggarth Dark Flake Unscented isn't a DFK. It's a Malawi, which is an excellent leaf.
Yeah, I know that most of what is marketed as "Kentucky" is actually African in origin. I suspect (but don't know) that it's what's used in Irish Flake as well and I can't get enough of that stuff.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I don't see any real Dark Fired Kentucky Burley in there. Just blends.
Not sure I'm totally understanding. How do you define "real" DFK? Would it need to be 100%? I doubt I would personally like straight dark fired as I guess I consider it to be in the "condiment" category. Wouldn't really want to smoke straight perique either for that matter.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice looking TAD ... some very fine tobacco there! :puffy:
Smoking some Triple Play right now and had some JackKnife Plug earlier today.
I jarred up a BUNCH of ODF and am giving it some shelf time while exploring new DFK's.
Cosmic ... the TR.com description of PS Dark Fired cracks me up!

It cautiously advises that it "should be used sparingly to keep it from overpowering a blend".

The very next sentence is, "Can also be smoked straight". :)
I smoked some of the pure DFK blending leaf that was in the box pass and enjoyed it. :puffy:

@Cobguy, I barely ever go there anymore. I have skipped so many blends because of erroneous postings on there. They had one straight Virginia that was mislabeled as an aromatic, and one review obviously just read the description and posted how he hated aromatics and he hated this blend, and then twelve others jumped on the wagon bashing it. I cautiously popped the tin to a pure VA. I've seen that a few times. I think people just post on there to get their numbers up, like it's a game.
PS Dark Fired is not a super strong nic-bomb, but it does have about as much strength as ODF, which isn't a nic-bomb in my opinion either. But, it is a good sweet strong flavor that actually has some interest to it as it stoves. I would recommend it to anyone who also might appreciate a good cigar, or anyone who just wants to explore the world... of the dark fired. :::insert Darth Vador march:::

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have a tin of Cumberland but have never opened it, let me know how that goes.
The solani burley flake is nutty and a good burley, I could also recommend the Wessex burley slice for more of a bbq feel.
Three nuns I found bland and uninteresting.
I would recommend gl pease sextant. I found it to be an interesting blend with a hint of the dark fired.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Nice selection. As far as I know, Solani ABF doesn't have any DFK in it, but it's still a great burley blend in its own right.
That could be correct, I'm not 100% sure and haven't cracked the tin just yet. I was going by the description at SP.com, but you know those can be in err at times.
A bold blend of dark fired burleys with a little light virginia for balance. The classic earthy heaviness of the dark fired burley really shines through, as does the nicotine that accompanies those heavy, robust flavors.
Ah-cuuuuuuu me? LOL. Travesty, lol.
LMAO, I knew I would catch some flake on that one :) ODF is a fine blend, let me reiterate that I have nothing bad to say about it.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I would recommend gl pease sextant. I found it to be an interesting blend with a hint of the dark fired.
Good call on the Sextant!!! Like Solani ABF, it didn't pop for Dark Fired on SP's tobacco locator. I do plan to explore the Latakia + DFK blends as a separate experiment but do appreciate the heads-up as I might have missed Sextant.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
@sallow
I have a tin of Cumberland but have never opened it, let me know how that goes.
I just cracked this one open to give it a whirl. This one goes on the cellar list, this stuff is REALLY good. While not something you would mistake for Irish Flake, it does (for me anyway) hit the same quality/taste levels as IF, which is really what I think I've been looking for in this little experiment. My tin was blended early last month and is pretty outstanding, I can only image what this blend is like with a little age on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.