PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
So, I'm new to pipe smoking as a hobby and I'm starting to develop some preferences. As I mentioned in another thread I prefer a pipe that can be broken down easily because I'm a little obsessive about cleaning them. My Falcon and my Petes fit this need nicely. Another thing I've noticed is that beyond the obvious budget concern I think I prefer "estates" to new pipes. While a new pipe is cool, there's no history there. When I get my hands on an "estate" I immediately start thinking about the history of it and how it must have been a companion to someone on some "adventure" (while I realize rationally that those "adventures" probably weren't past the local grocery store). Granted, I have been exceptionally lucky in the couple of estate pipes I've gotten in that they haven't been abused or disgusting (that's also because I'm picky), I like that sense of history in an item.
When it comes to tobacco, I'm into aromatics. I'm getting to the point where I smoke VERY slowly and I like being able to pick out the different flavors, plus it keeps the wife off my back because they smell nice. Again, the Peterson blends seem to be drawing me in, but one thing I read is that their aromatic blends are very similar and I find that to be true to an extent. I'm also tracking down all the little tobacco shops in my area and I'm finding that pipes are not as plentiful as I thought they'd be so hunting for things on the internet has become a new pastime while I smoke here at my desk (but I'm meeting some nice people :) )
Overall, I am just having a really nice time and learning a ton with every passing day, so, thanks to all of you (and the folks at Tamp and Puff) for sharing your knowledge and experiences. They have been very valuable.
See you around the boards!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I like estates, too. They are especially good for lowering the price point of a pipe you really like. Plus, besides cleaning there's no worry about breaking in. I've been smoking a little over a year and I now find myself moving away from getting small quantities of everything that I want to try and toward getting larger amounts of things I know I really like. I often wonder where I shall find myself a year from now.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Glad your enjoying the pipe experience! I have also been lucky with some of the estates I have bought and restored.

It's good to keep in mind that sometimes the reason someone is selling that pipe is because they hate it and want to rid themselves of it...lol

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will third that on Boswell's. I recently tried aromatics for the first time and bought 4 of them from Boswell's. I got the Rasberry Cream, Berry Cobbler, Dutch Pennsylvania Treat and my favorite of the bunch is Christmas Cookie. All are extremely tasty, burn to perfection and are a good deal.
I also enjoy buying estate pipes, you can get some great deals on quality pipes without paying really high prices. There are some amazing deals on Ebay.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation on Boswell's, I like that you have to call them to order and the blends sound intriguing! :D

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I too am a big fan of estates. I tend to follow the bi-weekly updates at smokingpipes.com. I regularly check out Ebay as well but being a lazy cuss I usually make my purchases from smokingpipes(cost of restore built into the price).

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I got an old Kaywoodie ('48-55) off flea bay for $15. I saw one exactly like it on SP a couple weeks ago, smae year and everything for $75! Nothing like a good score on an estate! It still had the stinger and is a very reliable smoker. Probably second only to my Pete 303.

Status
Not open for further replies.