PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowenz123

Lurker
Feb 26, 2017
Just got a new pipe from ebay, but it doesn't have any information regarding what is the best filter size. IT is a Peterson Kaywoodie red.
I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on this, or what is the best method to determine filter size? Also would most pipes be able to take the sav balsa filter without any modifications? I am thinking of using those rather than a paper filter.
PS: I tried to measure the opening of the tenon, but there were 2 openings to measure. The first one was the opening at the back, which was smaller, and the other one is the initial opening, which was bigger. Not sure which one to go by...
I can upload a picture for details if that helps... any ideas?

bowenz123

Lurker
Feb 26, 2017
Update: It was a Killarney peterson, not kaywoodie! Pardon the confusion I dont know why I wrote kaywoodie...
And I just got another pipe today (grabow) that has a 6mm diameter airhole. And by using the way it is shaped and sized for reference, I know that it is a filterless 3mm killarney. Also just bought some 6mm balsa filters, hopefully it fits the grabow :)
Case closed.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
6mm balsas work just fine in a Grabow. If they restrict the draw more than you like, you can get balsa rod stock from a hobby store in a smaller size. I just cut it to the same length as the Savinelli balsas with a pair of tin snips.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Very definitely true, Ignacio. I prefer to go filterless, but have noticed in Grabows a wet smoke will allow condensation to leak from the shank/stem junction. I think it has to do with the aluminum tenon not always having a great fit. Some of my Grabows, you could use them for a drinking straw and they won't leak. Just depends on the pipe, I guess.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'd also say to just smoke it without a filter. I don't use filters in any of my pipes. I also have a savinelli that came with the insert thingy to go in place of the filter, which I also don't use.
Smoke em' wide open, I say!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
That ultimate universal filter is best. it is called the NON-filter. I have never met a filter that did not degrade the taste of the tobacco while not being surpassed by simply taking better care to smoke with due care to avoid creating excess moisture in the first place! Just sayin'.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Balsa filters are good for gurglers. I guess I'm at a point in my pipe-smoking adventure where I don't want to pretend every bowl is a contender in a slow-smoke contest. I don't like to get all masochistic with my pipe smoking to the point where I'm in Olympic training for a completely moisture-free smoke. I also don't wear a hair shirt for a smoking jacket, nor do I self-flagellate while my tobacco is drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.