PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I am in the process of designing some pipe cabinets my use, and possibly a side marketing venture. I hope to have a couple done in the next few weeks. A lot of what I have been looking towards are the classic and antique replications. These would be made from pleasingly figured wood such as cherry, birds eye maple, spalted maple, rustic yellow pine, and other interesting woods. If you as a pipe hobbyist could have input into such a cabinet design, what would you like to see? Drawers, glass doors, lighted inside (low power LED), "cubby holes", storage designed to hold tins or canning jars, hang on wall, or a free standing pipe/smoking cabinet, etc. I welcome your inputs and suggestions.

Jul 12, 2011
If you can replicate the "keyhole" design, I think that would be best, makes for many size-types to be held without issue, I was going for one of these over at smokingpipes.com but missed the bus, they had been sold out and they are no longer posting them now...hmm

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
For hawkbills and other shapes that have pointy bottoms, holes rather than cups for the pipes to sit in.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
If there was a way to make the racks in the cabinet adjustable that would be awsome. I have many different length pipes and some just won't fit between some of the statinary racks.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
:idea: That'd be cool. Design the racks like the inside of an oven. Removeable top and bottom pieces so you can decide where you want the bottom to start, or if you want a botom at all.
The idea is nifty, the interpretation and execution must be elegant!
Or maybe magnetic movable shelves. lol

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Yeah especially if you have a bunch of CW's.
pegs that would slide through the sides and into the rac would work also i bet. then just have a set of holes drilled from top to bottom of the case.you could make it real nice like that and it would give breathing holes for the pipes to air out.
OR
wing nut bolts that stuck out the sides so you could set the racks at whatever hieght you wanted. then you would need a panel to cover them though.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I would like glass doors, wall mount, some storage area for tins would be nice and I do like the suggestion about adjustable racks. :puffy:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Adjustable shelves wouldn't be to difficult, your local hardware store will have pins for shelves, you can layout where you want the potential shelves, I use every 4", & make yourself a template, I like using 1/8" masonite mostly because its cheap. You can also buy templates online. If you're gonna build your own doors with glass, you might invest in a pocket screw system. The kreg system is about the best & I think they start @ $100 it so. Imho

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Only one idea, avoid polyeurathane like the plague - damn disgusting stuff that makes everything look so shiny and ticky tacky! Stick with shellac & wax and you'll achieve a gorgeous natural look. On some you could also age/antique the timber or, better still, use recycled and redressed timber for an authentic antique repro look.
Love the adjustable shelves idea too.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Thanks for all the ideas and feedback. Much of what I'm hearing I was planning, so its nice to hear it echoed back.
- Adjustable racks using pins

- Use oils for finish. Actually I use a oil mixture I make myself

- Wall mount design

- Table top design

- Some will have a rusticated look and use of reclaimed wood

- Tin storage

- option for framed glass or panel doors
Pictures coming soon :puffpipe:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i am currently drawing up a design that resembles a Lazy Susan. but i also want it to wall mount, Its harder than i expected to figure it out. I want it to hold minimum of 16 pipes

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
An inverted lazy Susan would be cool...ya know with a slot in one spot that's open & all the rest behind glass

Status
Not open for further replies.