PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
As I enjoyed my mid-morning bowl, gazing across the inlet at the snow-capped mountains gleaming in the sun, I got to thinking (again) about the rapidly approaching camping season.

Upon returning to the garage (aka - the office while undergoing reno's), I proceeded to begin unpacking my latest purchase, a new laser-jet. While, I got to the bottom of the box, and saw a handful of silica-gel desiccant packs sitting there, and I had an epiphany; If I were to keep my "camping cobs" in a tupperware container, with a handful of these packets tossed in, it should help the pipes dry between smokes.
Are there any issues you guys can see around this? Obviously, don't smoke the silica-gel, but beyond that? I should be able to keep each pipe down to one smoke per day, but I would hate to find myself without a smokable pipe two days into a seven day trip...

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Woah! You just blew my mind! Wouldn't it work with any pipe too then? One could bring their favourite pipe into the rotation way more often!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't generally worry about a pipe either cob or briar needing to be rested between smokes. (smoking a pipe two or three times in one day... no problem.)

However; the idea of using desiccant gel pack in the manner you have indicated should be ok... Just steer clear of moth balls. :D

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
While I've never used dessicants to dry a pipe, I use them all the time to dry tobacco....it works better than anything else I've tried... :D

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Good idea on using to dry tobacco, might try that. I usually keep one or two in my shorts during the summer to keep things dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.