PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Flying to Hong Kong tomorrow and I am only allowed to bring 25 grams of tobaccy with me. I have been toying with bring multiple ones, but in the end I decided to go all in on one blend. Rattray's Black Mallory. I have weighed out my allotment of manna and have labeled the bag 25 grams (for the Hong Kongnese customs inspectors). Though it might be a Neptune 25 grams, not an Earth 25 grams. Call me a criminal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd take at least two blends, probably three, despite the limited amount you are allowed. There's something about having a choice of the blend, and being able to suit it to the location and your frame of mind, that enhances a smoke. I'd rather have one blend than none, but a choice is a bonus.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It would really depend on how long I was going to be there. From my VERY misspent youth I know there are 28 grams to an ounce. with the average bowl quoted at 3 grams, that gives us 8 bowls. Under those conditions I would probably choose a VaPer. Either St.James Woods of Fillmore.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
My advice is to always travel with a non smoker so you can use their allotment as well. I hope you have a good trip.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I wonder if they will weigh it. That's tough plight. I think I would bring 12.5 grams of Bengal Slices and 12.5 grams of Bengal Slices.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
From my VERY misspent youth I know there are 28 grams to an ounce. with the average bowl quoted at 3 grams, that gives us 8 bowls.
Misspent youths may be the best kind!
I guess I'd bring some GH rope -- it seems to go a long way.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
@fmgee GREAT IDEA! I will be travelling with a non smoker. Thank you!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I would expect a 0.0% enforcement rate of the 25 gram allowance.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have a tough time believing customs would ever seize any relatively small quantity of tobacco. Even a suitcase full, maybe they'd give pause... but only maybe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
U0JNdb9.png

(from here)

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I wouldn't mess with Hong Kong customs. Someone who has actually traveled in and out of Hong Kong may be able to weigh in a bit more than I. (I've only been there once.) But I have traveled extensively internationally, throughout Singapore, Indonesia, and Australia (to name a few) and I would follow the allowances to the letter. These countries don't mess around with smuggling charges.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Considering that you can carry more tobacco using the no-smoker's allotment, I would choose a good Va/Per(PS LNF)and a good English blend (Nightcap), or maybe a bit of Three Nuns.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ive travelled my fair share as well including travel to Israel. They are FAR too busy to mess with what might be a few extra ounces of loose tobacco. Worse that'll happen is they toss some. Smuggling tobacco? Please.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I'd bring 100gs of tobacco, sealed in a bag full of helium to equal things out. It does make for a squeaky voice during the smoke, though.

I guess I'd bring some GH rope -- it seems to go a long way.
Plus they probably wouldn't identify it as tobacco...

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Does anyone know what the tobacco market is like in Hong Kong? Having had so much western influence, I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy some familiar blends there... especially since pipe smoking has become more popular in China.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I just got back from there. I entered Hong Kong 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Once at the airport and twice at the border with China. All three times the customs folks didn't seem to have much interest searching or stopping folks to check bags. You could take more and declare it and pay taxes on it, but I'm guessing the taxes are insane.
I looked around in a couple shops in HK and tobacco is so expensive it hurts just to look at the price tag. It looked like most tins were $40 - $50 US. or $350 HK dollars.
If you've never been before, my tourist advice is: Take a star ferry across the harbor, check out the skyline from Tsim sha Tsui. go to the peak, and if you can get out there, take the cable car to Ngong Ping to see the big Buddha.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Oh and for my desert island pick, I filled an empty 50g tin about 1/2 way with Luxury Bull Eye Flake.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
From my VERY misspent youth I know there are 28 grams to an ounce

This is false. There are actually 28.35 grams to an ounce. And the crappy thing is most people do this math to a pound, which results in 448 grams when a pound is actually 454 grams. So you're getting shorted by 6 grams, about 60$, but could be as much as 600$ depending on the substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.