PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All,
I just got an Invicta Briar in the mail--what a monster, and a fine first smoke as well. I was examining it and noticed these two areas. I wasn't quite sure if they were fills, or just dents/nicks that are natural to the briar and hadn't been touched. In any case, I assume that neither would have an effect on the quality of the smoke/longevity of the pipe?
Cheers!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought an Invicta a few years ago. It had a couple of obvious fills, but the price was right. It turned out to be a very good pipe.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Dents, fills, scratches etc. have absolutely no effect on the smoking quality of a given pipe. However, for many people, but certainly not all, the aesthetics of a pipe have quite a lot to do with the quality of the whole smoking experience!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have both pipes with dents and fills and some brim charring and chatter on the bit, and others that are somewhat pristine. Wear and tear is not a factor in quality of smoking. Some pipes get more beat up because they are good smokers and get used a lot and attain wear that way. Other pipes get more care because they are higher quality, but that doesn't make them smoke any better. As for aesthetics, it's a mixed bag. Pristine pipes are beautiful, but beat up pipes can also be beautiful at least in the eyes of the beholder if they have everything else to recommend them. Not all of your relatives are gorgeous to look at, but some of the plainer ones are still among your favorites.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks all for the responses. Pete from Invicta Briars did get back to me, and let me know that the pits have not been filled and what I'm looking at is just the natural briar. He seems to prefer the au naturale route. Now to try to convince myself not to worry about them and smoke this thing!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Nope. No effect whatsoever. I'm kinda like MacArthur, stick a stem in a cob and fill'er up with somethin good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The stummel looks to have a fill, but not so on the bowl itself. Neither will affect how it smokes. The pipe is less valuable on resale with fills, but that's about all—unless it bothers you!

Status
Not open for further replies.