PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Yesterday evening me and my dog were on the couch sharing a few bedtime snacks and I had eaten maybe 6-8 Doritos when suddenly I felt something hard in the crunching. I stopped, pulled it out and low and behold it was a tooth!! I never thought about it being my own. I looked in the mirror and saw the very front lower tooth was gone all the way down to the gum line...wonderful. Now I'm looking like a real red neck who needs a pickup truck and a few hogs in the back. I'm going to have a good dental bill.
So, I go to the dentist today thinking he could just drill down the center of what was left, put a post on it and then crown it. It didn't happen that way. He does a couple x-rays and determines that tooth is totally rotten(what was left of it) and abscessed...has to come out but he can't do just that because the one next to it is nearly in the same condition and only a matter of time before it goes. the one on the opposite side of that one needs some filling and possible a crown as well. They always find more than you bargained for.
I have a few options. Leave it as is and get a temporary bridge(three teeth for $550 but, the bad tooth that broke off is still abscessed. Another option and most expensive is to have a 3 unit bridge with one extraction, another possible root canal and another post and core with composite bond plus the price of extraction on the bad tooth. That will all cost a whopping $3500. I could get a real good upper and lower for that price.
The last option is what they call an "Appearance Partial" for $500. I don't' know the difference between that and a temporary bridge. This all totally sucks. Hell, maybe I'll just leave it as is and fit right in with some of the good ol' boys here.
Now the bad news. He wants to put me on antibiotics three days prior to the extraction if I go that route. The problem with that is that I take Warfarin and antibiotics has an effect on Warfarin by decreasing it's potency. In short, I'd have to take more of it as not to have a clotting problem but then again, they'd have to take me off Warfarin and/or the Plavix, another blood thinner I take as not to bleed to death when they do the dental work. If I go off the blood thinners I could get blood clots in my legs...that happened three years ago when I was taken off Plavix for an upcoming hernia operation. What's a guy to do. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I feel your pain. I am heading to oak ridge tomorrow to have four wisdom teeth removed. Costing me 2000 out of pocket plus another 450 for a freak 3d xray because one is wrapped around a nerve. Seems like highway robbery to me. I had to borrow money from my grand parents because they don't accept payment plans. Why can't we just have universal health care?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I feel for you. and have some tooth problems myself. But one thing I've learned is not to take a dentist's word

for it. I actually thought at one time that a dentist was a good dentist. I can't tell you how many 'repairs' I've

had redone that were supposedly good repairs in the first place. I'd go see a couple more for additional advice.

My youngest son had work done... several teeth. Thought everything was fine. When he joined the Navy, I got an

Email from the Base Dental Commander asking where the hell he got that shabby work done......

I hope there are no dentist pipe smokers here I'm stepping on, but a dentist is a medical school drop-out in some

cases. Get more advice!

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I was offered a payment plan but it's monthly payments which I don't really want. I can cover it but it just pains me to have to do so. I can think of many things better to do with $3500. Plus I have the hassle dealing with the vascular doctor and the coumadin clinic and chancing the possibility of clots if I got off those drugs for 3-5 days. I saw back in 2009 what that can do and I ended up in the emergency room with a stricture in my calf and two blood clots in the graft they put in my upper thigh about four years earlier. It's a catch 22 situation for sure.
I will say this, Top. Twelve years ago this guy did two crowns for me and one had a post installed as the tooth was too short. They're still there today and haven't caused a minutes trouble. Back then that work was about $1500. I don't know what it would be today.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I've had more trouble with small town hospitals. In fact one time I had to get 19 stitches in my knee. When I went back to my actual doctor he had to totally redo it because they did such a crap job.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll have to chew on it a little and talk with the vascular doc tomorrow and let them know what the worse case scenario could be here and that's the extraction part. It's going to bleed for sure-I just don't know how much and for how long if I don't go off the thinners. I don't' think the dentist will do the work, however, if I don't, knowing how easily you can bleed, not to mention three blood thinners; that is, aspirin, Plavix and Warfarin.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Well, problems come and they go. I've been through worse but thanks. I'll figure something out of this mess. My little sister is undergoing chemo for colon and liver cancer. My problems pale in light of hers.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
First I would get a second opinion.. I would ask your Doc to recommend an oral surgeon and get their opinion. Not taking care of the abscess is bad business. It could turn into something real nasty fairly quickly.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If payment plans aren't a big deal the one I'm going to in oak ridge is suppose to be top notch.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I grew up with a dad whose mouth was full of dental work because as a kid and young man (in the navy) he never brushed his teeth. His brothers, my uncles, have the same issues. I determined when I was young if I had major tooth decay I would not deal with crowns and posts, I'd just have the tooth pulled. If it was at the back of my mouth...I'd let it be...if it was at the front...I'd get a partial or bridge. The simplier, the better. Heck, the older I get the less pride I have, I might just go for the redneck look.
I haven't been to a dentist in probably 15 years. I educate myself as much as possible and just try to take care of my teeth on my own.
I'm sorry you have to struggle with the blood thinner issue. If you have to go off of the blood thinner, make sure you are medically supervised. Your issue is not uncommon; an experience doctor should know what to do.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Your tarter must be pretty bad lankfordjl. That stuff will ruin your teeth. Going to the dentist as a pipe smoker should be a must. Plus did you know that the dentist catches more diseases and infections on average than doctors.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Colcolt:
Going to hang with the others and strongly recommend another opinion.
My family had a lousy experience with a new dentist who was recommending a lot of expensive work due to a particularly nasty divorce he was going through.
I'm also surprised at the wide price ranges I see on procedures. Dental work is so much more expensive in my city of 128,000 souls. Travel 15 to 30 miles outside the city limits to smaller rural communities and charges can be anywhere from 25% to 40% cheaper.
I know you like your mouth doctor but getting another opinion for such extensive work is never a bad idea.
By any chance do you live anywhere near a dental college? You could let a greenhorn practice on you for half the going rate.
Fnord

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I remember as a teenage I had an access and didn't know it at the time. It manifest itself as a small bump, if you will, right above my two front teeth at gum line. I just ran my tongue across it one night and it filled my mouth with some nasty stuff. I had to have work done on bothy front teeth. Good teeth doesn't excel in my genes. It didn't matter how many times I brushed and flossing wasn't a word when I was a teenager. I had never heard of it.
I'm on Medicare and have a good supplement but none of that covers anything dental. That is all separate. I never considered dental insurance as my uppers were replaced years ago with a denture and I've lost bottom teeth in the back on both sides...I don't want to lose anymore as I have heard a lower denture is a real pita. Had this happened some years back when I had BCBS they would have covered most of this cost but, once you hit those golden years you don't have a choice, you have to go on Medicare.
More and more I'm considering just doing the temporary bridge thing or the "appearance partial" they told me about. It's awfully chancy coming off the blood thinners and I don't know if I want to take that gamble. It could have cost me my left leg in 2009 when I was only taking aspirin and Plavix at that point and stopped it for those five days prior to a scheduled hernia surgery. Ending up in the emergency room with your foot turning grey because of blood clots is not something I want to go through again. I was in the hospital five days with that ordeal. It was because of that incident that I was put on yet another blood thinner and that's when I started taking Warfarin. The doc told me if this happened again I could loose the foot and or the leg. Teeth just ain't worth that. It's not so much the expense I was told about today but my fear of stopping the blood thinners.
I don't believe there's any dental schools around here that I know of.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@photoman
Ha. I have no tartar, as I said I take care of my own teeth. Scrapping tartar and whitening is part of regular cleaning. I also inspect my mouth regularly for any changes. I'm no medical doctor, but I could be if I just went to medical school. I'm happy teaching pre-med and nursing students.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've done the bridge thing. It's worth it. Mine were too close and therefore crooked and to straighten them would have looked strange... 3 teeth across the bottom instead of four... So, I opted for the bridge... glad I did. There is one small drawback.... I used to be the loudest whistler I knew... now I'm lucky if I can whistle at all.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
How can one physically see all of their own teeth. I'm sure you have tarter if you haven't been to the dentist in 15 years. Being a smoker it is good to check for cancer and that is a better reason to go to the dentist.
Edit: Also a big part of going to the dentist has to do with your gums. Again something you can't see because your eyes are on the same head as your mouth lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
colcolt, I second the idea of getting a second opinion. I once has a dentist tell my ex wife she had 12 cavities and needed all kinds of work. I took her to another dentist and she didn't have one cavity. I filed a complaint with the attorney generals office for fraud. Which ever you decide I hope you get the treatment you need quickly, an abscess is nothing to play around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.