PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
As I stated in my hello post I am relatively new to tobacco. That said I have read so many posts describing

the seemingly wonderful characteristics of flavor experienced by many of you. So far when I have smoked my pipe

I have experienced almost no flavor at all (aside from the initial taste imparted by lighting and If I smoke the pipe hot) I would appreciate any suggestions you could impart. Note: My current setup: Dr. Grabow straight/bent pipes A tobacco suggested by the guy at local B&M (aromatic??)called "My Blend" and Zippo lighter with insert allowed to burn a few seconds before lighting to reduce naphata?? taste. Packing method, 3 stage (child,mother,father)technique relatively loose

Jun 17, 2011
Sounds like so far everything you have done right, just relax and enjoy it, if its a new pipe it could take a bit before you get the full flavor of the tobacco, or could be a mild tobacco with little taste regardless of what is on the package

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
It could be the blend. Smoke slower. I find I get more flavor from my pipes after they have had a few bowls in them and have a bit of cake built up. Try some different blends as well.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Some tobaccos are like good moonshine. Sipping is better than gulping. Take your time and don't over think what you are doing.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I've been smoking pipes for several years, and I find that I don't really taste much on my tongue either. But rather, I taste more (or smell?)when I "frenchy" inhale, i.e. blowing smoke out my mouth and inhaling through my nose a bit, just to get the nuances of the blend.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think it's all about the blend. This is why so many of us suffer from TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) and buy more blends than we could possible smoke in a reasonable amount of time. Sure sipping will help, but if you have a simple blend that most tobacconists suggest for newbies, all the sipping in the world won't give you flavor. Start getting some 1 oz samples of a bunch of the blends at you local B&M. You'll find some that you really like and others, not so much. Good luck and be patient! It'll come eventually. We've ALL been there.
-Jason

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have to sort of agree with Jason. I am always on the prowl for the "GREATEST" blend. I know that there is NO greatest that fits everyone. I just want to find MY greatest.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I am new to aromatics. But from reading other forum comments, it seems that aros are for others to smell and not the smoker. This has been my experience so far which matches yours. The only exception has been W O Larsen Signature. You might try samples of mild Virginia, oriental or Balkan house blends at your B&M.
Enjoy the journey to your discovery of what you like.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack it looser than you think you need to.

Smoke it slower than you think you need to.

Tamp it less , and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for the great advice. Will have to try to get some samples for next week's pipe smoking adventure.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
tiltjlp said:
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack it looser than you think you need to.

Smoke it slower than you think you need to.

Tamp it less , and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.
I would agree with all of the above except the need to clean with spirits after each smoke. That I would do only periodically and only if the pipe started tasting sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.